Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 AM   #71
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

I was already looking forward to seeing this Kickstart.

Listening to podcast, which I rarely do, and I'm happy to hear you guys discuss GURPS, DFRPG, Caverntown, etc.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #72
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I have to finish up modifying the video to show the new layout and highlight that the product is changing systems . . . but I think I just finished up all the Kickstarter prep for the Hall of Judgment launch.

Launches June 19

PREVIEW: Hall of Judgment for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #73
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

You should probably explain more clearly what the stretch goal covers, making it clearer that going to offset printing will improve quality of the final product, helping to explain why a months long delay will be worth the wait.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #74
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
You should probably explain more clearly what the stretch goal covers, making it clearer that going to offset printing will improve quality of the final product, helping to explain why a months long delay will be worth the wait.
No problem. And done.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-13-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #75
DouglasCole

I'm getting very excited to bring the Hall of Judgment Kickstarter to life on Tuesday . . . Tomorrow! Third-party license for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set . . . full color, in print and PDF. Powered by GURPS action is coming from Gaming Ballistic!

Tuesday, June 19, 10am CST . . .
Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #76
Baldo

http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=4052

I'm curious, do the changes/expansions/revisions in Hall of Judgement include the points raised by Bryce in the above review?
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #77
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=4052

I'm curious, do the changes/expansions/revisions in Hall of Judgement include the points raised by Bryce in the above review?
Hrm. How to address this. I will go back and re-read the review, and look at the parts that were concrete, not based on a particular preferred play style, and actionable.

In broadening the adventure to a more sandbox style, some points were addressed:

1. There no time limit on the adventure; the journey is a big part of it. So the GM doesn't need a magic teleporter to skip what would be hours of "wasted time" in a 2-4 hour convention game or a one-shot

2. There's no need for a plot device to get the players pointed in the right direction or make them uniquely suited to the mission, so the importance of the tiwstakn is much more muted (though it still plays a role).

3. There's 20 pages of "town" to introduce the players to the local culture (if they care; this is the DFRPG after all) and let them explore the culture and style of the area. That takes the place of the introduction, which served the same purpose. This also is a test to see if DFRPG players are *interested* in more "town" type stuff with more flavor. Backer response suggests "yes."

4. The inclusion of much more specific maps of the local area and (again) the lack of a time limit means that encounters are no longer floating (though some move, because monsters move), and there are more concrete anchors to both journey and destination.

5. The more-specific and larger-area maps allow much more freedom for the players to choose their path. Some paths are more difficult than others.

6. The adventure has evolved beyond it's original purpose as a vehicle to demonstrate Dungeon Grappling, so "you fight three to five battles with grappling monsters in a 2-4 hour one-shot setting" is less front and center.

In closing, yes, some of the points Bryce made have probably been addressed. I took a lot of feedback in addition to this review in the year since the adventure was published, including others not quite so admittedly biased against 5e (good on Bryce: he admits his prejudice right in his opening line).
Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #78
Baldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
...biased against 5e (good on Bryce: he admits his prejudice right in his opening line).
"raises hand" Yep, me too.
But be assured I'm *really* hoping to see another fine DFRPG&GURPS product for my collection.
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #79
(E)

Speaking as someone who is tangentially involved in the conversion of the 5e convention game into an fleshed out Gurps/DFRPG scenario/micro setting. There is a significant content being added, more than would be indicated by the addition of 20 pages. The removal of the time constraints inherent to a convention style game has allowed for numerous plot hooks to be added throughout. The over feel of the game is less rushed and more open. I know that Douglas has read the review and considered all the points raised.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote