Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #31
Dalin

Default Re: Mood or Tone of the 'Dungeon Fantasy' setting, world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I think it goes without saying that D&D is the original TTRPG.

Just like I think it's pretty safe to say the core influence of the down-and-town flavor of the hack-and-slash Dungeon Fantasy dungeon crawl is video games.
Ah, I see. It didn't occur to me that video games were a major inspiration for Dungeon Fantasy, but it makes sense. I've always assumed the genre was primarily an homage to the early days of D&D.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #32
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
And a TV show? The episode format is a challenge – but the difficulty of keeping a narrow premise fresh week after week has never stopped TV creators from trying (with greatly varying results).
I could a fantasy version of Leverage working out quite well...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #33
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There were many ludic influences on the genre treatment. The most important were Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Tunnels & Trolls, Roguelikes (especially NetHack), and early CRPGS (particularly the Ultima and Diablo series).

There were a fair few cinematic influences. The least-terrible were probably Conan the Barbarian (1982) and Conan the Destroyer (1984). I also got a few ideas from Excalibur (1981), Ladyhawke (1985), and even The Princess Bride (1987). But there's also Red Sonja (1985) . . . and even the terribleness of the likes of Hawk the Slayer (1980), Krull (1983), The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982), and The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984). You could sum it up as "1980s fantasy with muscle-bound barbarians, generic Olden Times technology, and women in cheesecake armor, with a dash of idealized chivalry and a soupçon of swashbuckling."

There were fewer literary influences because dungeon crawls aren't a strong literary trope. I'd be lying if I left out The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but beyond that I didn't much dip into novels. However, my view of "town" swipes a lot from the Thieves' World stories, and I know that wherever Peter Dell'Orto's hand is visible in Dungeon Fantasy, the Black Company isn't all that far away.

Whether any of these things really speak to a setting (rather than a genre treatment) is a whole other matter. The setting is more akin to that of post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies, where only the brave heroes ever leave the relative security of the ratty, thug-infested settlements – usually so they can go out into the wastelands and search for "loot" (fuel, ammo, still-working tech, etc.), which inevitably means fighting mutants and zombies.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #34
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Whether any of these things really speak to a setting (rather than a genre treatment) is a whole other matter. The setting is more akin to that of post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies, where only the brave heroes ever leave the relative security of the ratty, thug-infested settlements – usually so they can go out into the wastelands and search for "loot" (fuel, ammo, still-working tech, etc.), which inevitably means fighting mutants and zombies.
My own DF game, though set in a fantasy 15th century Switzerland, owes an awful lot to my playthroughs of Fallout 4.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #35
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Whether any of these things really speak to a setting (rather than a genre treatment) is a whole other matter.
Welcome back!
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #36
martinl

Quote:
Hawk the Slayer (1980)
Pretty much every DF Elf Scout I have seen might as well be Crow.

Welcome back 2: Electric Boogaloo

Last edited by martinl; 06-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #37
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Welcome back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Welcome back 2: Electric Boogaloo
Thank you! I am still only kind-of, sort-of on the forums, because I have a lot of other stuff to get to, but I'm taking my coffee breaks here.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #38
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Okay, again related to the DF demo session I am running as part of 'Free RPG Day' on June 16th....

Are there certain Fantasy or Sword & Sorcery movies that are most like the tone and mood of the "Dungeon Fantasy" background world?
Two questions:
  1. How did the DF demo session go?
  2. What movie(s) did you settle on?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #39
ajardoor

What about the F-something and the Grey Mouser series for literary influences? They were certainly big starters in the pulp fantasy genre.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #40
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Are there certain Fantasy or Sword & Sorcery movies that are most like the tone and mood of the "Dungeon Fantasy" background world? (. . .) what is the best movie or TV series that works for a DF mindset
I wouldn't say it's the best, but since it matches very well with the request here, I confidently add to the recommendations the movie Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness (2012)

With this movie, I think it's better just ignore the reviews and watch it for yourself.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote