Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Ultra-Tech Drugs Design: how robust is the B425 system?

Greetings, all!

So, drugs are one of the bits I haven't tackled in the remake of Æthereal Sun. I'm going to look over the ones in Bio-Tech, but what about the design system found on B425? How good was it in your experience? Prone to abuse if left unchecked in the hands of players? How sensible are the results?

I also remember that Bio-Tech generally pushes down the prices of both premade and already-researched designed drugs. I'm not sure if I want the high, low, or some intermediate prices in my setting. I'm still thinking about that one.

BTW, the Average job is roughly $100-120 per workday in the setting, in case it is important.

So, any advices?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Ultra-Tech Drugs Design: how robust is the B425 system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm going to look over the ones in Bio-Tech, but what about the design system found on B425? How good was it in your experience? Prone to abuse if left unchecked in the hands of players? How sensible are the results?
I played around with them to reproduce some drugs from another rules-system then converting it to GURPS. Although the goal wasn't to replicate but merely to get the same feel.

Anyway I found the drugs to become way to expensive and also especially so if you want to have serious super-drugs that go outside of what's available in Bio-Tech. And because of the potency rule and having to fail HT they aren't really fitting for typical super drugs, such as nano-drugs that simply "work".
I tried to stick to the rule but had to bend it a lot, and never really liked the result. In the end, I recreated them only using "base cost on total point cost, modified by duration, and a fixed number" this gave me nice results that seems pretty balanced also in play.

Last edited by Maz; 04-23-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
smurf
Banned

Do you guys use divide by 20 for mass produced?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Do you guys use divide by 20 for mass produced?
It's actually Divide by 100 according to Bio-Tech. But I think I'll divide by 10 for established, optimised recipes in Æthereal Sun.

Tags
basic set, bio-tech, designer drugs, drugs, ultra-tech