Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Designing Silo Bunkers

I've seen some stuff about old missile silos being converted into fallout shelters and I think that's a neat idea. Aesthetically, I like the idea of the faculty arranged vertically.

I'm wondering what levels of the faculty there would be.

[-Decontamination Chamber-]
[----------------Garage-----------------]
[---------Security Room------------]
[----------------Armory-----------------]
[-------------Life support------------]
[-----------Aquaponics lab---------]
[-----------Fission Reactor---------]
[-------------Macroframe------------]
[-----Administration Center-----]
[-----------Medical Facility---------]
[--------Residential Rooms-------]
[--------Manufacturing Bay-------]
[-----------Storage Space-----------]

This is my rough draft for the bunker, any suggestions? I'm assuming TL9 with a couple cutting edge Innovations when it really helps.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Designing Silo Bunkers

Obviously, you will need some of these levels to be larger than others. Either Hydroponics or Storage space needs to be a lot bigger, representing either

The location of the Fission Reactor has me conflicted. I feel like it should either be at the top of the silo or at the bottom. I feel like it should go at the bottom because of the weight: you want a firm foundation, and if things get loose, you do not want your reactor falling through your living space. On the other hand, sticking it at the top lets you use the radiation shielding for the outside anyways, and you might even be able to set it up so that a meltdown doesn't irradiate the entire shaft.

I'd put either manufacturing or the reactor at the very bottom of the shaft. I'd put storage in between the stuff that MUST be at the top and your living area, so you can live as far away from the fallout as possible.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Obviously, you will need some of these levels to be larger than others. Either Hydroponics or Storage space needs to be a lot bigger, representing either

The location of the Fission Reactor has me conflicted. I feel like it should either be at the top of the silo or at the bottom. I feel like it should go at the bottom because of the weight: you want a firm foundation, and if things get loose, you do not want your reactor falling through your living space. On the other hand, sticking it at the top lets you use the radiation shielding for the outside anyways, and you might even be able to set it up so that a meltdown doesn't irradiate the entire shaft.

I'd put either manufacturing or the reactor at the very bottom of the shaft. I'd put storage in between the stuff that MUST be at the top and your living area, so you can live as far away from the fallout as possible.
Life support includes water storage and purification, and I wanted to place that above most of the water consuming systems so gravity could do most of the work.

Those being the Aquaponics which is probably a part of the purification system, and the two systems that would need liquid cooling. The reactor and the macroframe.

The reactor is positioned closely to the systems that demand the most power, the macroframe and the Aquaponics lab.

I see what you're saying about keeping the reactor towards one end of the shaft though.

Edit: actually steam Rising from the reactor could make moving the water back up to life support easier.

I'll see about moving the reactor to the bottom and sandwiching the water consuming systems between it and life support.

Last edited by Minuteman37; 03-31-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Life support includes water storage and purification, and I wanted to place that above most of the water consuming systems so gravity could do most of the work.
You're going to have to pump the water back up again, though.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You're going to have to pump the water back up again, though.
Just realized that and made an edit.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Minuteman37

[-Decontamination Chamber-]
[----------------Garage-----------------]
[----------Security Office-----------]
[-------------Life support------------]
[-----------Aquaponics lab---------]
[-----------Medical Facility---------]
[--------Residential Rooms-------]
[-----Administration Center-----]
[--------Manufacturing Bay-------]
[-----------Storage Space-----------]
[-------------Macroframe------------]
[-----------Fission Reactor---------]

How's this looking for an update? Removed Armory, it probably isn't large enough to warrent it's own floor.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Daigoro

A large water tank between the radiation source and living areas is probably desirable.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
A large water tank between the radiation source and living areas is probably desirable.
Is that water drinkable? Does it irradiate?
Old 03-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Is that water drinkable? Does it irradiate?
So long as the water in the tank is not used to cool the reactor by touching the fissile material, you're fine to drink it. In fact, the water in that tank should be extra-safe to drink because of the radiation killing off algae and stuff like malaria germs that are normally found in sitting water. The water itself is not radioactive, and can never irradiate stuff.

Most reactors have two levels of coolant: the water in the reactor itself which is contaminated and unsafe, and the water in the tanks used to cool the pipes the contaminated water runs through. Never shall the two waters mix. The water in the cooling towers of most nuclear power plants is the water in the outer tanks, never the inner ones. The inner coolant system is a closed system; water is never added nor taken away, just heated and cooled.

Plus, in a silo that outer tank acts as insulation to keep the radiation from the reactor from affecting everyone above it.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
Bengt

Wont you need some outside connection to cool that reactor? Either large towers or access to a large body of water.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote