Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
GWJ

Default Aim + Wait

Can you Aim in specific foe while Waiting? Or it's just for covering specific HEX (or line)?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Aim + Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Can you Aim in specific foe while Waiting? Or it's just for covering specific HEX (or line)?
The rules text seems a bit ambiguous on this point, but I'll try to work my way through it. The Wait maneuver (Exploits, p. 32) allows you to "'cover' a target or area." This implies that you can Aim at a specific foe and Wait. But, then it refers you to Opportunity Fire (p. 43), which says, "Aim (pp. 29-30) doesn't apply unless you're watching one hex (only)." I think, however, that this is just to prevent archers from trying to get an Aim bonus while covering multiple hexes.

It is clearly permissible to take repeated Aim maneuvers to follow a target as long as they remain in your arc of vision and you have line of fire (Aiming, p. 43), so it seems reasonable to maintain your Aim during a Wait maneuver. The Wait would not count as an additional Aim, but it would allow you to maintain any bonuses that you had already accrued. This would permit an archer to track a target and say something like, "I'll Wait and shoot only if they draw their weapon." That seems plausible, balanced, and fun.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
This would permit an archer to track a target and say something like, "I'll Wait and shoot only if they draw their weapon." That seems plausible, balanced, and fun.
Also ye olde, the Scout's target has dropped behind cover, the Scout has been Aiming for a few rounds, they can "Wait until the target pops up from behind cover" without losing their Aim bonus.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
GWJ

You can't "normally" Aim if you don't have a linesight to your target (Exploits p.43). And you are aiming at person or object (this is in the Aim maneuver description). What you said is not the "normal" Aim maneuver - Opportunity Fire (Exploits p.43). There is the exception - if you're observing one hex, your Waiting is counting as the Aim maneuver.

My question is: if it also counts as Aim, if you're observing single TARGET (not hex). Especially for situations like "I'm aiming at him until he will be 4 yards from me - then I will shoot".
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Black Leviathan

I'd let you aim on a watch for an opening of a hex or two or either side of 1 hex of cover. Watching a house when you're not sure where someone will exit is too difficult, same with watching a 5-hex wide rise in a box canyon, not knowing where someone will appear.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Captain Joy

Quote:
You can't "normally" Aim if you don't have a linesight to your target (Exploits p.43). And you are aiming at person or object (this is in the Aim maneuver description). What you said is not the "normal" Aim maneuver - Opportunity Fire (Exploits p.43). There is the exception - if you're observing one hex, your Waiting is counting as the Aim maneuver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by “Wait”, Exploits, p. 32
A Wait with a ready ranged weapon lets you “cover” a target or area specified when you take the Wait maneuver; see Opportunity Fire (p. 43).
Quote:
Originally Posted by “Opportunity Fire”, Exploits, p. 43
Aim (pp. 29-30) doesn’t apply unless you’re watching one hex (only).
Note also that the rules for Oppertinuty Fire (Exploits, p. 43) only refer to watching an “area” or “single straight line”. The purpose of the Oportinuty Fire rules is to deal specifically with situations in which you start out not seeing any targets.

Taking all this together, the Wait maneuver allows for using the Opportunity Fire rules on a target, as well as an area or line of sight with no targets. As to whether or not it allows you to accumulate aim bonuses like aiming at a single hex does, it’s not as clear. I would rule that it does, as long as the target stays within one hex.

My reasoning: nothing stops you from taking Aim maneuvers against a target and then an Attack or All-Out Attack when you you want. If you’re taking the Wait maneuver, it must be because your waiting for some triggering action, which divides your attention enough that you’re not able to accrue aim bonuses—unless your target stays within one hex, which makes it easy enough to maintain aim even while distracted by waiting for whatever trigger.

Quote:
My question is: if it also counts as Aim, if you're observing single TARGET (not hex). Especially for situations like "I'm aiming at him until he will be 4 yards from me - then I will shoot".
As to your specific example, since the target is moving, you would not get any aim bonuses. Either choose Aim maneuvers and attack with aiming bonuses on one if your later turns, when the target is at a distance closer to your liking, but maybe not exactly 4 yards away. If you want to shoot him when he’s exactly 4 yards away, you’ll have to use a Wait maneuver without any aim bonuses.

If I were GMing: since the target is moving towards you, I’d allow the aim bonuses. You’re not really having to track side to side anymore than you would be if you were watching a single hex.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 02-24-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added response to specific example
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote