Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
GWJ

Default Foraging

How many rolls from "Foraging" is allowed per travel? 1 roll per travel for each adventurer? 1 roll per SKILL per travel for each adventurer? Just one roll for group?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Foraging

According to Exploits, p. 18, each PC with Fishing, Naturalist, or Survival (no defaults) can roll "once per trip" (emphasis mine). So if you have three PCs with appropriate skills, each of them can roll once (i.e., three rolls total). Success or failure on each roll will reduce the total amount of rations required by that character. My groups often pool their resources, so the foragers reduce the party's total travel expenses.

I consider "trip" to mean each significant leg of a longer journey. When I ran "Mirror of the Fire Demon," for example, they rolled once on the way to the oracle, once more on the way to the fortress, and a final time on the way back to civilization. Each leg also involved rolls for Navigation and Weather Sense (Exploits, p. 17) to see how long it took.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 AM   #3
GWJ

Quote:
each PC with Fishing, Naturalist, or Survival (no defaults) can roll "once per trip" (emphasis mine)
It's exactly what is not clear for me :) It could mean also each of this skill once per trip. Earlier I was always thinking the same way as you, but I found Druid has two of them and Barbarian has all 3 of them. So what's the point of improving for example Fishing if he can't use this to get more food?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Emphasizing the important words: Each delver can roll once per trip (in plain English, that means one roll in total; if we meant "once per skill per trip," we'd have written that). Each delver may choose one of Fishing, Naturalist, or Survival for this roll. It's up to the GM to define "trip," which will vary from adventure to adventure and from land to land (and from GM to GM, of course).

So why learn more than one of these skills? For the things they cover besides general foraging:
Fishing: "On voyages by boat or ship, Fishing is the only skill allowed for [foraging] – no Naturalist or Survival!" and "[make] a DX-based roll anytime it's necessary to cast a hooked or weighted line to fetch or pull something."

Naturalist: "A successful skill roll will let you [...] identify valuable animal parts or recall the capabilities of strange beasts" and "When in doubt about natural dangers, the GM will roll against Naturalist to see what you know."

Survival: "Survival rolls can lower [...] living expenses by letting you camp outside town," "The GM may permit Survival rolls to detect and avoid suitable mundane dangers," "When resisting hardships such as heat and cold, HT-based Survival can replace HT," and "remove [...] external parts from dead creatures."
Each skill has uses that go beyond foraging. These include delving uses, like fishing for treasure, identifying monsters and their valuable body parts, and collecting said body parts.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
malloyd

And too you might want more than one because sometimes one of them will work better or worse than usual for some reason.

The limit to Fishing only for a sea voyage is one of those (though some specialties of Survival not in DF might work too), but not necessarily the only one. If you are travelling across the Great Salt Basin - formerly the Middle Sea until the Empire so angered the Ocean God he cursed them by withdrawing it - then there isn't much chance Fishing is going to help.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you are travelling across the Great Salt Basin - formerly the Middle Sea until the Empire so angered the Ocean God he cursed them by withdrawing it - then there isn't much chance Fishing is going to help.
"We're having baccala again?"

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Fishing: "On voyages by boat or ship, Fishing is the only skill allowed for [foraging] – no Naturalist or Survival!" and "[make] a DX-based roll anytime it's necessary to cast a hooked or weighted line to fetch or pull something."
My catfolk barbarian was all set to get the treasure out of the horrible room full of water via Fishing when one of my maniac allies decided to wade in and pick it up. *shudder*
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
My catfolk barbarian was all set to get the treasure out of the horrible room full of water via Fishing when one of my maniac allies decided to wade in and pick it up. *shudder*
HAH! I love it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Cat-folk seem like the right people to know Fishing, for reasons of both stereotypical dietary preferences and dislike of water (not to mention the idea of fetching stuff by remote control seems to suit the racial laziness).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Bruno

... I might have to bait some monster out of the room they're in by tying a toy or dead rat or something to my Fishing line and tossing it in. Then, if you reel it in slowly, in little scurrying fits and bursts, they should watch until the exact moment they can't see it, and then run STRAIGHT out the door and into our ambush.

Right? Right.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote