Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #41
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Rules question] Dragon breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
It does leave a lot of people misreading the rule in 4e, assuming that it was like 3e revised, and it did leave a lot of 3e revised "legacy" text around to confuse us and make us think that SJG didn't intend to change the rule.

But apparently they did.
My confusion, at least, has nothing to do with any 3e legacy as I've come to GURPS with 4e. And as far as I can tell the text clearly makes the case:
  • Eyes is a full and independent hit location targeted at -9.
  • Eyes is not part of the face (explicitly stated for armor coverage).
  • -10 armor chinks exist at every hit location except the torso. Explicitly including both the eyes and the face.

If Kromm is altering the deal, at least two pages of the basic set need substantial errata (targeting chinks in armor on B421 and the armor locations info in Characters), and I'd suggest fixing at least one more (the hit location description for eyes).

I also find the system as the book seems to present it more elegant than what we're seeing from the PMs, but of course elegant and wrong is still wrong.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 03-31-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #42
transmetahuman

My only problem (besides forgetting to read relevant stuff - ugh) is that "half DR for getting your sword through an eye slit" is not at all the same thing as "half DR when engulfed in dragon flame or immersed in an acid vat". But I've skipped a bunch of posts in this thread, and I have the feeling you've all moved beyond Large Area Injury, right?
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
My only problem (besides forgetting to read relevant stuff - ugh) is that "half DR for getting your sword through an eye slit" is not at all the same thing as "half DR when engulfed in dragon flame or immersed in an acid vat". But I've skipped a bunch of posts in this thread, and I have the feeling you've all moved beyond Large Area Injury, right?
Yeah, the thread's been somewhat hijacked by the Greathelm Eye Stab Controversy.

I think there's still a Large Area Injury issue to settle, though. Per this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
> 3.a. Assume that I wear no armor but I have the unmodified DR 10
> advantage; it provides zero DR for my eyes. Then, if I'm caught in an
> area attack, do I get only DR (10+0)/2 = 5, since my 'effective DR'
> is the average of my torso DR 10 and the least protected location,
> which is the eyes (per p.B400)?

I would use DR 10. "Eyes" are sub-location of "face" -- not a major hit
location of their own.
In the context of natural DR, a lack of eye DR does not make you more vulnerable to Large Area Injury. However, the rules on B400 specifically mention being turned away from cone attacks as a form of protection for your face and eyes, which would presumably otherwise be affected, and would have to count as an exposed area.

For playability and fun, I'm inclined to privilege the eyes, giving them the benefit of protection unless they are specifically targeted, as they are too critical and too easy to damage otherwise. My suggestion would be to use Gudiomen's summary of available Large Area Injury hit locations as "the basic hit locations, covered by 3-18 numbers", and just ignore the mention of eyes on B400 as 'faceandeyes', really meaning the face.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/2d, cone