Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Creating/equating races to 5 Chinese elements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Earth is balance and a fusion of all the elements.
Metal is of course metal but also cold, hard and unyielding.
Part of me wants to make male dwarves metal, but homebody females earth. They temper the greed and aggression of the males who give them strength and stability.
A bit sexist, but as they wouldn't be human I think it could work without ticking people off.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
I'd go with tortoises rather than turtles. Or at least make your turtles amphibious. Otherwise, encountering or playing as the "water race" isn't going to be practical.
Tortoises can't swim at all making them odd for a water spirit form.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Part of me wants to make male dwarves metal, but homebody females earth. They temper the greed and aggression of the males who give them strength and stability.
A bit sexist, but as they wouldn't be human I think it could work without ticking people off.
I'm used to female dwarves having all the same traits as male dwarves (save one, which is purely physical and what defines them as male dwarves and female dwarves)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I'm used to female dwarves having all the same traits as male dwarves (save one, which is purely physical and what defines them as male dwarves and female dwarves)
I can't remember any myths describing or even mentioning female dwarves. Usually in most legends females of all races are background valuable property NPCs to whatever males are the protagonists. Therefore they have to be classic pretty which dwarves aren't.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Tortoises can't swim at all making them odd for a water spirit form.
I tend to think of that as a translation problem. The shell is symbolic of mollusks and the sea even if you dont think tortoise should be turtle.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I tend to think of that as a translation problem. The shell is symbolic of mollusks and the sea even if you dont think tortoise should be turtle.
It's not like any culture's mythology ever really adhered to factual biology.

Hard shell fits arthropods in my mind. But for common water themes, good old clams do sound most thematically appropriate.
Then again, they don't really do much other than filter feed so fail as an active elemental force/beast to me at least.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Gimli: "It's true you don't see many Dwarf women. In fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men."
Aragorn: *whispered* "It's the beards."

While that was adapted from a piece of one of the Appendices, and JRRT never actually said that Dwarf women had beards, it was pretty much implied. :)

Since then, I've been wary of any depictions of Dwarves without beards at all, male or female.

It's not just fantasy Dwarves, either; on Farscape, there was one early (first season) species who had the female of the species played by a grizzled male actor, and until the humorous reveal at the end was treated as male.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Mithlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
I'd go with tortoises rather than turtles. Or at least make your turtles amphibious. Otherwise, encountering or playing as the "water race" isn't going to be practical.
The only portrayal I can think of in Chinese woodcut art is a snapping tortoise, which tend to live mostly in the water even though they're perfectly capable of traversing land. In either case, the portrayals of all these animals tends to be a symbol flown by humans trying to venerate a particular quality, with the imperial throne occupying the center (as others mentioned, Earth).
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #19
kdtipa

If you want to stick with the Tolkien-based fantasy creatures, and maybe include some D&D, but give each a sort of connection to a Chinese element, this might work for you...

Wood - Human: It's about growth and vitality. Humans reproduce quickly, and even use a great deal of wood to expand their homes and vehicles. It seems like a match that humans might have an affinity.

Fire - Elf: It's about summer, life, and energy. In this case it's not a literal fire that makes me think of the elves, but even still, some types of forest benefit from a fire that re-enriches the ground, and provides what is needed for new trees and plant life. Almost like a Phoenix. And if the Elves are the creatures of the forest, this seems to fit to me.

Earth - Gnomes/Hobbits/Halflings: These are the tinkerers, farmers, gardeners, and so on that live best with the Earth. They are considered hardy, calm, and steady. As apt to let a beautiful day slip by sipping tea with a friend as they are to work the Earth to bring foods. I like this association.

Metal - Dwarf: These are similar to the Earth species in stability, but have an additional strength and ambition. The dwarves are also known as the experts with metal craft. They are tough and are the best at using the "element" of metal.

Water - Merfolk: Is suppose that's a sort of cliche choice. Maybe you'd want to pick something else... but a species associated with water ought to live in it I think.

I used the wiki article as a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #20
RyanW

To try to settle an aside that may be causing some misunderstanding, turtle/tortoise is a case of cultural difference. In the US, "turtle" generally refers to the group as a whole (or sometimes exclusively to aquatic and semi-aquatic ones), and "tortoise" to the exclusively land-dwelling subgroup. Britain tends to call land-dwellers "tortoises" and water-dwellers "terrapins" (a term that retains traction in the US primarily due to being the name of the University of Maryland athletics teams). In Australia, "tortoise" is often used to refer to any member of the group aside from marine turtles.