Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Rohan

Default RPM & Sorcery both with Treshold Magery

Hello!

First: Sorry for my bad english!

I want that both magic systems have a limited energy pool . In this case, Threshold Magery .
A Wizard ( RPM ) has with Magery 0 = 150 points that he can use before he reaches his threshold border.
A sorcerer ( Sorcery ) has with Sorcery Empowerment 1 = X points that he can use . Unfortunately Sorcery consumed so often only 1 FP .... So how can it be that in relation ? 1 FP = 15 EP of the Wizards Energy ?

Do you understand what i mean?

Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
dataweaver

Default Re: RPM & Sorcery both with Treshold Magery

It's not. If you want to use Thresholds with Sorcery, you really ought to rebuild the Sorcery Spells using the Corrupting Limitation instead of Costs FP; it's what Corrupting was created for. Note that Corrupting has a cost proportional to the Spell's overall cost; so in theory, a more expensive Spell will build up Tally more quickly than a less expensive Spell would.

Even then, though, don't expect the Sorcery costs and the RPM costs to align.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
oneofmanynameless

First, you should decide whether they draw from the same pool of energy. That will determine a lot. It will be much easier if they do not.

If they do not than sorcery should use the standard thresholds for normal magic, presented on Thaumatology, or about a 30 threshold and 8 tally per day recovery rate. RPM should use the rules laid out in Pyramid 3/66.

If they do use the same pool then I'd use an equivalent rate to figure out how much tally each Sorcerous spell should take. In this case 150/30=5 so I'd have the cost for a sorcerous spell be 5 tally per cast instead of 1 fp.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Rohan

@oneofmanynameless

Thanx !That helps!
They do both use the same Pool of Energy. Your example with 150/30=5 is good.

The 150 Points for the RPM MAge are from Christopher Rice, so i think it is balanced if i used 5 Points per Cast for sorcery?

Both gain 15% threshold and recovery rate by 20%....

Greetings Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
oneofmanynameless

That should be fine, I think.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
It's not. If you want to use Thresholds with Sorcery, you really ought to rebuild the Sorcery Spells using the Corrupting Limitation instead of Costs FP; it's what Corrupting was created for. Note that Corrupting has a cost proportional to the Spell's overall cost; so in theory, a more expensive Spell will build up Tally more quickly than a less expensive Spell would.

Even then, though, don't expect the Sorcery costs and the RPM costs to align.
where can I find this "Corrupting" limitation?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
dataweaver

It's in the latest edition of Horror. It's also in the Power-Ups volume dealing with Limitations — 8, I think?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
dataweaver

How hard it is to get rid of Corruption depends very much on what “Corruption” is. As described in the opening paragraph of Power Corrupts (Horror p.146), “Corruption” is actually a catch-all term for whatever replaces the immediate energy cost with a delayed price later on. Threshold-Limited Magic, Assisting Spirits, and Point Debt for Meditative Magic are specifically called out as existing examples of Corruption systems. The Corruption system described on pp.147–148 is explicitly called out as a sample Corruption system, as opposed to being the definitive Corruption system.

The subsequent paragraphs on pp.146–147 then go on to talk about how these existing Corruption systems can be adapted for use with supernatural abilities other than standard magic, such as Enthrallment, Effect-Shaping Path/Book Magic, Cinematic Martial Arts skills, or Powers. In particular, the Corrupting Limitation is cited as the simplest way to determine how much Corruption the use of a Power's Ability generates. Again, in this context Corruption is being used as a placeholder for “Tally, Spiritual Distortion, Point Debt, or whatever else will cause trouble for the character at a later time.”

That's why I said that this is precisely what the Corrupting Limitation was created to do.

All that said: yes, getting rid of Corruption in the sample Corruption system is indeed harder to do than getting rid of Tally. In some ways, the sample Corruption system could be thought of as an elaboration on the Point Debt option from Fantasy, but largely decoupled from Meditative Magic. In particular, the means of cleansing Corruption in that system largely mirror the ways of generating energy through Meditative Magic — only here, the “generated energy” is instead applied as a reduction to Corruption. That's why it's so slow: Cleansing Corruption is essentially a version of earning character points; and we all know how slow that can be.

Which is also why the notion of some sort of regeneration for the sample Corruption system is a bad idea: it's akin to allowing a character to spontaneously generated character points.

Tags
dataweaver, fanny