Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
otghand

Default GCA unresponsive when last character closed

Anyone else experience this? If I close the last open character GCA goes unresponsive. I can not quit it or load a new character. GCA shows as owning pretty much a whole processor, but not doing anything.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA unresponsive when last character closed

I seem to remember someone else had that problem in the past. I don't recall if anything was found to fix it for them, but it's not a problem that I've been able to reproduce.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
otghand

Any useful logging I could send you? I can reproduce the error at will.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by otghand View Post
Any useful logging I could send you? I can reproduce the error at will.
If there's a particular sequence of steps or something you have to take in order to cause the problem, that would be useful*. But there's not really anything GCA logs that would be useful to me.

Does the problem still exist if you just close GCA, and let it close all the characters, rather than trying to close the last character yourself?

Armin

* Since I could tell you "don't do that".
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
otghand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
If there's a particular sequence of steps or something you have to take in order to cause the problem, that would be useful*.
Open GCA.
Load data set.
Load Character (or create new character] and do work.
Save character.
Close character.
Enjoy cool, refreshing freeze. ;^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
But there's not really anything GCA logs that would be useful to me.

Does the problem still exist if you just close GCA, and let it close all the characters, rather than trying to close the last character yourself?
No, only when I close the last character.

The reason I want to do that is to be able to close a character, load a new data set, then open a character using that data set. Not a huge biggie as there are work arounds, but odd enough that I wanted to mention it.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Open GCA.
Load data set.
Load Character (or create new character] and do work.
Save character.
Close character.
Enjoy cool, refreshing freeze. ;^)
I have done this exact procedure many, many times. Like you, I tend to close the current character before taking whatever the next step is. As I mentioned, this isn't something that I've been able to reproduce, and I'm clueless as to what causes it.

Quote:
No, only when I close the last character.

The reason I want to do that is to be able to close a character, load a new data set, then open a character using that data set. Not a huge biggie as there are work arounds, but odd enough that I wanted to mention it.
I understand. I can't really help with this issue right now, but the next version of GCA is rewritten on a newer platform, so it shouldn't have this problem any more*. Of course, I also have no idea when it might be ready....

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. I appreciate you bearing with us until the next version can be made available.

Armin

* Also, the next version allows each character to have their own library (data set) loaded, so you can work on different characters with completely different libraries at the same time.