Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
Zarathustra

Default Re: Best 10 or so archetypes for a high-powered GURPS Supers game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Late to the party and I wanted to address something that might seem like just a nit pick, but I believe is really important when looking at examples of archetypal superheroes and teams like the Justice League.

The specific version (and creative team) are a huge factor. When dealing with the Justice League, it often seems like a few members are the odd ones out... and this is because it is like you allowed someone to not only take over the role of an existing NPC or even another player's PC during the game but also allowed them to at least tweak (if not flat out re-stat) the character. @_@

Batman is sometimes one of the least point intensive characters but can be one of the most expensive instead: it all depends on which "versions" are involved. Batman has great scores in all four basic Attributes, possibly even better scores in some of the figured quantities, probably soaking at least a quarter of his points (and that is including points back from Disadvantages). He's got an expansive Skill list and an almost obscene amount of technically "mundane" Advantages at high levels, such as Wealth, Allies, etc. Plus some versions have Gadget based super-powers and/or "metagame" Advantages that aren't technically Super Powers by GURPS standards but once you're aware of the narrative, function as such.

Superman is also another standard buster, though in his case it is because he so often is apt to exceed 1000 points. Basically you have to be careful for him not to invade the "niche" of just about everyone else. He doesn't just do a little bit of everything, but does it so well in fiction it seems like other characters have been buffed to compensate... like say the Flash that seems to do more and more crazy things via "Super Speed" because without them, he'd just be one part of Superman's power set. =P
Flash is also faster. Wonder Woman is a better fighter. Green Lantern has greater versatility. Martian Manhunter has more powers. Batman is a Skill Monster.

The only odd man out (if we're looking at the classic "big 7") is Aquaman and even he has certain advantages that Superman can't touch. Namely vast wealth, limited telepathy*, and a toolbox of powerful Atlantean tech.

Now that I think about it, the JLA are almost poster children for building to concept, instead of using points. Everyone has their own niche, or something that makes them special. The only one that looks like a munchkin build is the Martian Manhunter and even he has that whole weakness to fire thing that keeps him from dominating the "campaign".

*The telepathy is more powerful than it looks. He once took out a Superman-class bad guy by messing with "the part of [the villain's] brain inherited from [his] marine ancestors".
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #22
Otaku

Default Re: Best 10 or so archetypes for a high-powered GURPS Supers game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Flash is also faster. Wonder Woman is a better fighter. Green Lantern has greater versatility. Martian Manhunter has more powers. Batman is a Skill Monster.

The only odd man out (if we're looking at the classic "big 7") is Aquaman and even he has certain advantages that Superman can't touch. Namely vast wealth, limited telepathy*, and a toolbox of powerful Atlantean tech.

Now that I think about it, the JLA are almost poster children for building to concept, instead of using points. Everyone has their own niche, or something that makes them special. The only one that looks like a munchkin build is the Martian Manhunter and even he has that whole weakness to fire thing that keeps him from dominating the "campaign".

*The telepathy is more powerful than it looks. He once took out a Superman-class bad guy by messing with "the part of [the villain's] brain inherited from [his] marine ancestors".
When the JLA has been well written... yes this is the case. It is also when Batman is usually rocking enough "technically mundane" Advantages that again, he stands as part of the DC trinity* at the head of the JLA, being at least equal to the rest.

*Not a usage I invented, but it seems common in parts of the online comics community which I frequent. Just in case it is obscure though, I mean Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high powered, supers