Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #1
dataweaver

Default [PU9] My Attributes

(this was originally posted in the PU9 thread. I'm reproducing it here because I want to use this as a worksheet to refine the setup into something playable. For reference purposes, here's a link to the original.)

Splitting up the universe: I've got a really elaborate grid worked out — so much so that it's likely to cumbersome to be practical. But boy, is it pretty:

Body
Strengths and Aptitudes:
Primary: Might & Precision
Auxiliary (Mobility): Speed & Agility
Basis: Fortitude & Fitness
vs. Injury & Fatigue
Resource: Wealth

Mind
Strengths and Aptitudes:
Primary: Knowledge & Reason
Auxiliary (Perception): Awareness & Insight
Basis: Stability & Focus
vs. Disquiet & Distraction
Resource: Connections

Soul
Strengths and Aptitudes:
Primary: Spirit & Intuition
Auxiliary (Social): Presence & Guile
Basis: Integrity & Composure
vs. Corruption & Stress
Resource: Status

Three Realms: Body, or the physical realm; Mind, or the cerebral realm; and Soul, or the visceral realm. For the Mind/Soul division, I'm contacting thoughts vs. feelings.

Each Realm (Body, Mind, and Soul) is divided into three broad Aspects: Basis, Primary, and Auxiliary. Basis is essentially a combination of Resistance and Resources, and is fundamentally passive and defensive in nature: your ability to resist, cope with, and recover from actions directed at you in that Realm. Primary it's its opposite: your ability to influence others in that Realm. Auxiliary is a specialized Aspect that varies from Realm to Realm, and as such is given an alternate name in each: the physical Auxiliary is Mobility; the conceptual Auxiliary is Perception; and the visceral Auxiliary is Social. As well, each Auxiliary can be specialized: Mobility can be specialized by terrain or environment; Perception can be specialized by sense, and Social can be specialized by mentality (human, spirits, animals, machines, and so on).

And each Aspect has two sub-aspects: a Strength and an Aptitude. Each Aspect's Strength is conceptually a quantity (how much can I lift, or remember, or motivate; how fast can I go, how much can I observe, how much can I stand out in a crowd), and its Aptitude is a quality (how well can I maneuver things, or think things through, or recognize and express beauty; how nimble am I, how insightful and I, how devious am I). The original idea was that all of the Strengths should be viewed as being ST-like, in that they're not a valid basis for skill rolls or saving throws, and don't have to fit on a 3–18 scale; in fact, they can and do vary wildly. By contrast, the Aptitudes are designed specifically with skill rolls and saving throws in mind. It doesn't entirely hold up that way in practice; Knowledge and Acuity, in particular, need to be usable as “do you recall/notice X?” With this in mind, I've been attempting to implement a combination of KYOS and Conditional Injury to make Might more like the other Attributes, and similarly tweaking things like Speed (conceptually equivalent to Basic Move, as opposed to Agility, which is conceptually equivalent to Basic Speed).

In addition to all of that, each Realm also has what I've called a Resource, which is not to be confused with what PU9's “Dividing Up the Universe” section calls a Resource: in PU9's terminology, these are External Social Attributes.

Last edited by dataweaver; 12-05-2019 at 12:53 AM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
dataweaver

Default Body

This post reserved for the Realm of the Body
Old 12-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #3
dataweaver

Default Mind

This post reserved for the Realm of the Mind
Old 12-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
dataweaver

Default Soul

This post reserved for the Realm of the Soul
Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
dataweaver

Default Other factors

This post reserved for whatever I may have missed.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 AM   #6
dataweaver

Default Campaigns

This post includes thoughts on how these attributes might apply to different kinds of campaigns