Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default TL 9 Police Tactics

With TL9 equipment, police tactics change dramatically because defensive equipment improves greatly. In the case of patrol officers, reflex tacsuits give them superior protection (DR 20/10) for minimal weight (15 lbs) and minimal cost ($3,000). In the case of SWAT officers, powered combat armor gives them incredible protection from conventional weapons.

In addition, nonlethal weaponry greatly improves. The average patrol car with probably add a CAW with Sleep rounds and a Portable MAD for crowd control. SWAT vans will probably add an ETC Anti-Material Rifle and an ETC Payload Rifle with a wide variety of rounds to allow them to fulfill a wide variety of missions (an ETC Anti-Material Rifle can deliver a 15 mm Biochemical round filled with Sleep Gas from 3,000 yards away). Primary sidearms would include Electrolaser Carbines with 25 mm UGLs with Tangler rounds while secondary sidearms would include Electrolaser Pistols.

So, what else would near future police carry? Would there be any reason to carry lethal weapons when there are so many good and effective nonlethal options? Of course, nonlethal only refers to the weapons, accidents can still happen.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: TL 9 Police Tactics

Why would SWAT wear powered armor? I could see combat hardsuits or sealed tacsuits, but powered armor seems overkill.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 11-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
With TL9 equipment, police tactics change dramatically because defensive equipment improves greatly. In the case of patrol officers, reflex tacsuits give them superior protection (DR 20/10) for minimal weight (15 lbs) and minimal cost ($3,000).
I suspect we'll have more "response" than patrol as technology increases.

Reflex is a nice midway point between anticipating a response and interacting with normal folks, though I suspect even lighter clothing that will count as a few points of DR. For officers that mostly interact in "normal" situations, they won't want to wear around the equivalent of heavy winter clothing.

Quote:
In the case of SWAT officers, powered combat armor gives them incredible protection from conventional weapons.
I suspect that will remain military hardware, unless the general public and suit up as well (which is a whole other set of problems). Robots (very limited AI or remotely operated) and drones are more likely.

Quote:
In addition, nonlethal weaponry greatly improves. The average patrol car with probably add a CAW with Sleep rounds and a Portable MAD for crowd control. SWAT vans will probably add an ETC Anti-Material Rifle and an ETC Payload Rifle with a wide variety of rounds to allow them to fulfill a wide variety of missions (an ETC Anti-Material Rifle can deliver a 15 mm Biochemical round filled with Sleep Gas from 3,000 yards away). Primary sidearms would include Electrolaser Carbines with 25 mm UGLs with Tangler rounds while secondary sidearms would include Electrolaser Pistols.
Tanglers and Electrolasers (especially with variable settings) seem good. Sleep rounds just aren't fast enough. That's why we don't use traqs now.

Combat Shotguns just get better too. You can have a variety of rounds depending on your needs. I suspect each patrol car will carry one for instances where you need breaching or stopping power.

Gyrocs are another possibility. Judge Dredd style peacemakers for everyone...

Quote:
So, what else would near future police carry?
Investigators could benefit from sensory equipment (tricorder?) and an AI assistant (skill assist, record interviews, fact check statements, tap databases).

Even regular officers might have an AI looking over their shoulder to scan faces, track interactions, or log paperwork.

Quote:
Would there be any reason to carry lethal weapons when there are so many good and effective nonlethal options?
Sure. Doors, cars, and even sometimes drugged people can brush off non-lethal weaponry. Electrolasers don't have good penetration either unless they incorporate a very lethal cutting setting. Last, but not least people react differently to "I'll survive this" and "oh crap they are going to kill me" damage. It's good to have a healthy fear that lethal force can be used if you are deemed a big enough threat, even if the police keep it as a last resort.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Investigators could benefit from sensory equipment (tricorder?) and an AI assistant (skill assist, record interviews, fact check statements, tap databases).

Even regular officers might have an AI looking over their shoulder to scan faces, track interactions, or log paperwork.
AIs could also be used to report police abuses directly to Internal Affairs, as well as cautioning officers that their actions are about to cross the line between "necessary force" and "brutality".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
PTTG

I imagine a bad cop ignoring the warnings and getting tazed by his own suit. I like it.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In the case of SWAT officers, powered combat armor gives them incredible protection from conventional weapons.
Or you can just use a robot/drone, which is what the real world is evolving towards.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
AIs could also be used to report police abuses directly to Internal Affairs, as well as cautioning officers that their actions are about to cross the line between "necessary force" and "brutality".
My guess is that all through TL9 AIs won't be trusted or sophisticated enough to assess situations. They will have expert skills and access to vast amounts of data, but not the situational awareness to apply it to human situations.

An AI would be very good a reporting that its operator experiences stress at certain situations, draws their weapon X times per day, or eats more than the recommended quantity of donuts per day. I just don't see it making the judgement call if harsh words or a more serous response was called for.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Why would SWAT wear powered armor? I could see combat hardsuits or sealed tacsuits, but powered armor seems overkill.
Because of the criminals using powered industrial exoskeletons and/or homebuilt combat armor. Not to mention the occasional bootleg milspec powered armor.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Because of the criminals using powered industrial exoskeletons and/or homebuilt combat armor. Not to mention the occasional bootleg milspec powered armor.
These things are answered by giving the SWAT snipers a couple of APHC or APEP rounds for their biggest guns. You don't fight gangers with baseball bats with nails in them by giving cops actual maces.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

PCA is cheaper than replacing highly trained SWAT. It also gives them superhuman strength, good movement, and good jumping distance.
Closed Thread