Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #31
edk926

Default Re: Child PCs and NPCs

The last time I moved, it was literally just me, my parents for a few things, and movers for the big stuff. I don't own much, but I don't know anyone that would help me move or vice versa.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #32
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
The last time I moved, it was literally just me, my parents for a few things, and movers for the big stuff. I don't own much, but I don't know anyone that would help me move or vice versa.
It was just me and my fiancee, but that is because we moved to a region hundreds of miles away from anyone we knew. I was not going to ask my friends to travel 600 miles to help me move.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #33
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It was just me and my fiancee, but that is because we moved to a region hundreds of miles away from anyone we knew. I was not going to ask my friends to travel 600 miles to help me move.
These are both probably better stories than "it was great, the entire neighbourhood turned out to help us move. They couldn't do enough to get our stuff onto that truck"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I think it's worth heralding that if you have 12 people who you can count on to help you out when you're in trouble, and you don't live in a college dorm, you're probably doing much better for friends than most people.
Yeah. That sort of ally group is the sort of thing that doesn't occur much these days - in the pre-modern era, you might well belong to that sort of thing on the basis of having lived all your life in one place and being related to most of them. These days, that takes time and effort.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm able to muster a dozen if I need them, but that's all through my church or through my outsized family. I agree, having that many people to call on is really nice, and its actually a touch unusual to have large numbers of them. But allies aren't just folks who would show up to help you move. Allies will stick with you through thick and thin, lend you money, and help you bury bodies.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #35
Alden Loveshade

Years ago, I had a small group of close friends, most of whom both played GURPS and were in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). If someone was moving, needed help editing a term paper, had a nice dress that got torn and was in need of repair, needed a place to stay for several days, etc., one or more of us who were qualified helped out. It was pretty cool, and I miss that.

Back to the thread topic, in regard to point totals, GURPS Basic Set pg. 487 has a Power Level list. By it, 25 points or less includes (realistic) young children. (In my opinion, most young children are well below 25 points, going into the negative point range.) Adults built on 75 - 100 points are exceptional people. I sometimes like to imagine I'm a 150-pointer, but I know that's not reality.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #36
AlexanderHowl

My fiance is easily 250+ CP. She is a doctoral student in physics at a top university and could have competed in the Olympics in fencing if she had been willing to take time off from her studies. She is by far the most intelligent and athletic person I know and her attributes would be easily ST 8, DX 14, IQ 16, and HT 14. Her senses are superb, her willpower is phenomenal, and she is quite good at every intellectual and physical activity she attempts.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #37
The Colonel

Quote:
My fiance is easily 250+ CP. She is a doctoral student in physics at a top university and could have competed in the Olympics in fencing if she had been willing to take time off from her studies. She is by far the most intelligent and athletic person I know and her attributes would be easily ST 8, DX 14, IQ 16, and HT 14. Her senses are superb, her willpower is phenomenal, and she is quite good at every intellectual and physical activity she attempts.
...and has password access to your computer? Or just happened to be reading over your shoulder? ;-)
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #38
Tenex

Quote:
Well, if nothing else it seems you are madly in love. So there's that.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #39
AlexanderHowl

No, she is just that exceptional. It is quite maddening to live with someone who can hear a whisper through two closed doors and remembers what you said in passing five years ago. It is also humbling to live with someone who thinks twice as fast as you, especially when you already think twice as fast as the average person. I was used to living with geniuses from my childhood, living with someone like my fiance makes me wonder how normal people felt when they interacted with me when I was younger.