Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: Compulsive GURPS-conversion

I often find ideas I like in D&D, and wonder how to transfer over their essence (without adding too much complexity).

For instance, I'm considering how to make "mage studies spells every morning" over to RPM, and still be worthwhile. And I think I have an idea of how to phrase it--but of course, only the vaguest idea how to translate the phrase into GURPS. ("Five rituals lumped together, get Ritual Mastery for a day, requires preparation.")

The trouble I see with conversions is figuring out what to convert (e.g., Dark Sun defiling--I finally decided that the landscape turning into ash was a feature, rather than something that had to be put into mechanics), and how to convert it (GURPS is a toolkit, so every time I've asked "how do I do this," it's been a multi-page thread with a half-dozen different options--great that I get all that support, but leaving me confused as to how to do stuff in GURPS...). Not to mention that stuff changes value depending on genre/setting, so you have to readjust point costs to their new values (e.g., supernatural powers in settings where gear can replicate those powers--money replaces character points).

Being able to put stuff into relatively-balanced numbers appeals to me. There's a lot of fluff in D&D (and other RPG supplements) that I like, but I prefer my crunch in GURPS. (Which is why most of my RPG collection is GURPS.)
Old 09-13-2014, 03:19 AM   #22
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

I am one of those, though I at least try to con myself that I might actually get to use the stuff in a game ;-).

I also do it for the exercise of using the rules, though, on purpose. It often pays off in the games that I do run in some form.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Damn. When did I go through apotheosis and why didn't anyone tell me?
*high-five!*
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
Anders

I am no writer, as Ghostdancer is,
But, as you know me all, a plain blunt man
That love my games.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
*high-five!*
Slap hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I am no writer, as Ghostdancer is,
But, as you know me all, a plain blunt man
That love my games.
You don't need to be a writer to be a GM and have fun. It's useful, but sure ain't required. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
You don't need to be a writer to be a GM and have fun. It's useful, but sure ain't required. :-)
If it was, then I was doing it wrong :| ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
Dwarf99

Quote:
You might want to check this, this, and this out. And also stay tuned because I'm going to be Diablorising the Witch Doctor next - this time with Sorcery spells.
Awesome! Actually the more that can be done with sorcery the better. I'll have to decide on RPM though. It does seem rather slower than what I'm looking for and at the moment, powers aren't out of the question, but if it's cheap enough to be fast, neither is RPM.

Note that doesn't mean I won't be using the necromancer for something, RPM is awesome for its own reasons, I just think Diablo maybe a bit faster paced personally.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
If it was, then I was doing it wrong :| ;)
Hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Awesome! Actually the more that can be done with sorcery the better. I'll have to decide on RPM though. It does seem rather slower than what I'm looking for and at the moment, powers aren't out of the question, but if it's cheap enough to be fast, neither is RPM.

Note that doesn't mean I won't be using the necromancer for something, RPM is awesome for its own reasons, I just think Diablo maybe a bit faster paced personally.
Well, the RPMing of Diablo came when my brother wanted to learn the system and I put it in familiar terms so he could see how to build stuff. It mostly worked out and I figured I'd reuse it for my blog.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #29
The Horn'd One

Has anyone done a GURPS take on BattleZone? The video game version I mean, is the one from 1998 for the PC, which is now available on Steam as "BattleZone 98 Redux." (This also includes the expansions The Red Odyssey, BattleZone II Combat Commander, ect.)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #30
Vaevictis Asmadi

I don't know anything about that game, sorry.

I also spend a fair amount of free-time trying to represent my favorite fiction in GURPS. I don't even have a group to roleplay with (or time to do it) so this is really as close as I can get to RPing in my favorite settings. Which I would love to actually do, if I got the chance. Being able to hand a rulebook to the GM might even make it slightly more likely... if I had the discipline and time and patience to finish any of them. ;)

Nonetheless, without a group, I have bought several GURPS books, basically solely to do this with them.

I would probably never admit this to non-gamers. Glad to see it isn't just me, though.

I also wanted to tell the person converting Star*Drive that there's a 3E Pyramid article with a short conversion (see my sig) but I'm rather late to that part of the conversation.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote