Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Anders

Default Compulsive GURPS-conversion

Does anyone else out there enjoy converting mechanics or settings to GURPS? Not necessarily because you want to play there, but because you like the intellectual challenge of getting the tone and feeling right. My latest project is Trudvang, a Swedish folktale RPG.

Or am I a lonely freak who must be shunned?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Blind Mapmaker

Default Re: Compulsive GURPS-conversion

You are not alone. I also enjoy the challenge of finding just the right combination of modifiers to make a power work exactly like in that novel, series, rpg world...

I don't normally convert settings I have no intention in playing in myself, but I do convert (or more correctly start to convert) many where the chances are actually pretty minimal. Besides converting I also enjoy making up settings that mesh nicely with for example different kinds of GURPS magic systems.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
LokRobster

Everything must be converted! Books, Movies, TV shows, other games...

It's a non-stop life diversion, something to keep the mind busy when the womenfolk are talking.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Anders

Currently looking casually at Guide to Glorantha, which I bought for more money than I could afford. I need to lose weight anyhow. There are definite possibilities here.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Dwarf99

I've got an ongoing project that I keep going back to as it strikes my interest. It "Diabolizes" GURPS. That is to say, it's a Diablo Conversion. Oh hey, that reminds me I need to see about stealing Ghostdancer's Death Mauler.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Philosopher Rogue

I remember when some publishers included conversions for several game systems in their sourcebooks.

Especially the old Central Casting series. They were these random background generation things with books for several genres and they had a handful of systems in them. I think a few of the BTRG books did too, like Guns! Guns! Guns!..

But, yeah, I enjoy the challenge. Do you try for a straight numbers attempt or go for thematics? What about abilities that simply do not exist in both systems? It was how I came to love GURPS in the first place.

Doing these things really allows me to become better at improvising as a GM and making rules calls. It also helps remind me the main thing is always making sure the players have fun.

And it lead to a couple of neat homebrew system things. I ran a supers game at one point using BRP for the skills and secret identities and Marvel's FASERIP system for the powers and combat.

Last edited by Philosopher Rogue; 09-10-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Philosopher Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher Rogue View Post
But, yeah, I enjoy the challenge. Do you try for a straight numbers attempt or go for thematics? What about abilities that simply do not exist in both systems? It was how I came to love GURPS in the first place.
Thematics every time. For instance, if I do Glorantha I'll have the wizards use RPM rather than cobble together my own system with the 36 runes. Much lower risk of disasters. I am not like Kromm, PK or Ghostdancer who can come up with a system on the fly and have it work more-or-less immediately. I am mortal.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
hackbarth

I often got out of a movie theater (or a book, or a game) stating the characters and the scenery. And then writing that in articles in a blog (sorry, only in portuguese, and that blog mostly died...)

Still have articles with me for GURPS Barsoon, X-COM, Inception, WWII Brazilian Fighter Squad, Elite Squad...

Last edited by hackbarth; 09-10-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: completion
hackbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Does anyone else out there enjoy converting mechanics or settings to GURPS? Not necessarily because you want to play there, but because you like the intellectual challenge of getting the tone and feeling right. My latest project is Trudvang, a Swedish folktale RPG.

Or am I a lonely freak who must be shunned?
Yeah, I do that sometimes. Though, I did eventually run 4 and 2 sessions of those (so far).
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I am not like Kromm, PK or Ghostdancer who can come up with a system on the fly and have it work more-or-less immediately. I am mortal.
You never get that far without practice. All three of them have created many, many more systems that didn't work out of the box before they reached that point. Godhood can be learned.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote