Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Dual Attack Kick?

Capoeira commonly uses AoA(double) for kicks.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Capoeira commonly uses AoA(double) for kicks.
Sure, though Dual Weapon Attack, in principle, would be attacking wtih each foot, while AoA (double) could represent other things (certainly, I've seen karatekas training kicks that strike twice with one foot in basically a single motion that takes less than a second).

Not to dispute that Capoeira might train DWA kicks, since they train attacks from a handstand. How well that works in practice, I'll leave to experts. But it does suggest the option of setting up with Acrobatics rather than a jump.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

1 Extra Attack is allowed for normal humans in Basic representing unusually good co-ordination. Nothing says those have to be 2 hand attacks.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
So it can be done, but doing it in a real fight is unlikely . . . which makes it cinematic (it helps to have the aid of willing partners or stunt-men!), but not unrealistic (this ain't Neo leaping over buildings here).
In summary: "board don't hit back".
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
In summary: "board don't hit back".
Yes, true enough . . . but a sufficiently skilled practitioner probably could deliver this in the middle of a real fight. A flying arm-bar is a surprisingly high percentage technique against a skilled foe, and the very unlikelihood of the move in a fight would help the person using it.

With the AoA/Telegraphic plus multiple seconds for evaluate or maybe just this particular move bought up as a technique, the high-hit demos (do it nearly every time) with boards would translate into about a 30-50% chance of landing both kicks well enough to hit (maybe they'd be parried though) in a combat situation (better in a sport sparring situation).

As I said: I find this cinematic in a hot fight but not unrealistic. It can be done, but you have to be really good to do it.

dhc
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Most styles of taekwon do teach a few techniques to kick two people at once. Once I learned the technique I could jump and kick at two targets simultaneously at head height hard enough to break two boards each so I don't think it is cinematic.
With a willing "enemy" I can also do hand clap parry. I doubt this is realistic in a real fight. You would only hurt yourself.
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Flying split kicks and such take -4 for Dual-Weapon Attack and another -2 for kicking, so you're talking about two rolls at -6 to skill. For a DX 10 man, that's two rolls of 4 or less, with excellent odds of at least one critical failure, followed by two chances to fall down for missed kicks. Even up to skill 12, the critical failure percentage is scary and falling down is about twice as likely. Reliably doing this calls for skill 16+, which is decidedly rare. Reliably doing this and not getting a leg trapped requires the ability to add in Deceptive Attack, which means skill 18+. It bears mention that any campaign where unarmed skills are routinely 16+ has already crossed the line into the cinematic realm where flying split kicks ought to be allowed by the Rule of Cool.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote