Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#35): Detect

Last Week: Destiny
Next Week: Digital Mind

Quite late, but here we go!

Basic
Today we look at Detect (p. B48), an Exotic trait which can be either mental or physical, depending upon the specifics. As the name implies, Detect allows you to detect a condition or substance, even one shielded from the basic human sense of hearing, smell, taste, touch, and vision. The base cost varies depending on the rarity of that which you detect. Something "Rare" like gold costs 5 CP, something "Occasional" like precious metals costs 10, something Common like metal costs 20, while something Very Common like all minerals costs 30. Besides detecting, Detect also allows you to analyze what it is you detect, or justify purchasing a related traits: the text gives the example of Detect (Magnetic Fields) used to explain having Absolute Direction.

To use the detection part of Detect requires one second of concentration, after which a Sense roll is made (secretly, by the GM) to determine what you can detect. Range modifiers from the Size and Speed/Range table apply. On a failure, the GM will tell you that you sense nothing, while on a successful roll means the GM informs you of the direction to the nearest significant source of the substance or condition, as well as an idea of the quantity. If the GM permits, you may by a version of the Acute Senses trait for your version of Detect, costing 2 CP for each +1 bonus. This effectively will increase your range, as it can cancel out some of the distance penalty.

The unmodified version of Detect also includes the capacity to analyze the substance or condition you can detect. Make an IQ roll to do so; the GM provides more detailed information the better you roll, with a critical success providing the best information. The example from the text uses Detect (Metal): a regular success tells whether you are sensing gold or iron, with a critical success detailing the form and precise purity for gold.

There are two Special Enhancements and one Special Limitation listed on p. B48 for Detect. "Precise" is worth +100% and causes you to learn the distance to whatever you detect if the initial Sense roll was a success. "Signal Detection" is worth 0%, and meant for Detect when it works on some sort of active transmissions such as laser, radar, or radio. Instead of using the range penalties, you simply must be within twice the signals own range. In the case of directional signals, you also must be in its path. "Vague" is worth -50% and mutually exclusive with Precise; Vague Detection informs you of the absence or presence of the condition or substance. A critical success will net you the direction and quantity (instead of a regular success), and you cannot analyze what you detect.

Other Supplements

Besides the usual suggestions for when it can be appropriate for a power or focus to include Detect, it provides some useful ways of classifying different forms of Detection (p. P47), plus a new specific Enhancement, in addition to some more general ones which may apply to it and other traits. You'll find some sample powers that include Detect, as well as worked examples of abilities built using Detect, and rules for how Detect can interact with other traits, including working in conjunction with certain skills. Detect is very briefly mentioned for some of the alternate rules with Talents in Power-Ups 3: Talents. To my surprise, Detect pops up twice in Social Engineering, with some specialized trait/Detect and skill/Detect interactions.

Useful Links

Please suggest useful links for me to review and post; as you can tell by the fact this thread is being started with the week that is more than half over, I am running very short on time for this.

Discussion Starters

Have you ever taken Detect for one of your PCs, or (if the GM) an NPC? Worked with another character that had it? This is the kind of trait you may have encountered as the Gadget another character was using. In all these cases, how well did it work? Did it seem like a bargain, a bad buy, or pretty fair? Any sticky ruling situations?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 03-15-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#35): Detect

Detect is used a LOT in making sorcery spells and many additional powers for other spell-like systems(divine favor, Chinese elemental powers, psions).

The hardest part for me has been pricing what base cost to give for different detects. The actual detect mechanics seem to work fairly well, specially when used with range modifiers.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

In the occult investigative game, I've got very good use out of this Detect build. It's a bit complicated, but effective:

Detect (Magic, Occasional), Magical, -10%; Low Magical Signature (-10) +25% [12]
plus
Detect (Magic, Occasional), Magical, -10%; Low Magical Signature (-10) +25%; Long-Range, +50%; Only in Unpopulated Areas, -50%; Alternative Ability *1/5 [3]

Low Magical Signature is based on Low Psychic Signature from Psionic Powers, and gives -2 to rolls to detect the effect per +5% cost; paying for -10 to detection makes it undetectable.

Only in Unpopulated Areas is based on the idea that people create a little magical "fuzz", so you can't do long-range magic detection if there are lots of people around.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Kalzazz

Used in Sorcery spells only
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Detect is one of the most workhorse advantages, and I'm fond of using it.

reflexive is necessary for a sense that is always on, and I find that somewhere around half of all detect builds I use are reflexive.

Lost in Dreams has detect as one of its campaign advantages, and as one of the most distinct campaign advantages.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Bruno

It's worth mentioning that Detect gives you a chance to see all the relevant things (based on PER checks), not the single closest relevant thing like that old D&D spell did. IE, it works like all your normal senses do - you don't see the single closest thing to your face, you don't hear that one single thing nearest you, etc.
That's a point of confusion that comes up on the forum regularly.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acute senses, advantage, advantage of the week, detect, week, [basic]