Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: Inventing New Spells and the first Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I like this concept. So you're saying something like Anaraxes - there are certain unterspells (unterspellen?), the invention of which is possible with minimal equipment, but the spells given in Magic are the diecast high-precision spells that can't be made without specialized tools.
Right. Further the enchanted items that a mage uses for perfecting those spells may have nothing to do with a 'traditional' magical enchantment. A wheel that spins as manna passes by it has no practical application, but if your goal is to figure out a way to get that magical effect you just discovered to be cheaper seeing how much manna you are using, and WHEN you are using it(how fast the wheel is spinning) might be invaluable.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
LemmingLord

It might interesting to see magic as just another technology.. TL0 magic would require a TL0 laboratory... probably pretty stones, water, or other things you could find in a nice grove of trees somewhere..
Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi3e View Post
Kindermagic is also noted as being "powerful, primitive ritual."
And embarrssing for older casters if they still chanting "You missed me; You missed me; Now you got to kiss me" to cast their blocking spell ;)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Nemi3e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
It might interesting to see magic as just another technology.. TL0 magic would require a TL0 laboratory... probably pretty stones, water, or other things you could find in a nice grove of trees somewhere..
I LIKE this Idea, you have no idea how much.

Likewise, maybe with advanced theory one could bump up their TL0 lab--instead of putting the pretty rocks out in a line, they are arranged in the Fibonacci sequence, giving a minor bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
And embarrssing for older casters if they still chanting "You missed me; You missed me; Now you got to kiss me" to cast their blocking spell ;)
It's only a quirk level disadvantage though.

The GM is not your Enemy.
The GM is your dealer.
Nemi3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
momothefiddler

Fantastic help, guys. Thanks.

And interesting side discussions! By all means, continue speculation. I'm enjoying it.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
vierasmarius

Since no one has mentioned it so far, I'd like to suggest taking a look at the Magic as Technological Progress article from Pyramid 3/43. It doesn't specifically address how the very first spells were developed, but it gives a suggested progression of development, and rules for inventing new spells (based largely on the existing invention rules). Even if you don't use the concept of Sorcery Levels (as a parallel to Tech Levels) the article is interesting and useful.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chargen, magic, new spells