Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: A name for builds that achieve goals in a way that is opposite of straightforward

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I guess I'm just used to thinking that the straightforward approach to 'omnidisciplinary' is 'more, more IQ!' followed by 'a Talent!'.
All sorts of Engineering isn't omnidisciplinary, it's pretty narrow. Anyway, of your examples:
#1 and #4 I would class as 'straightforward'. You're just directly buying the ability that lets you do what you want to do.
#2 and #3 I would class as 'inefficient'; they're likely to either not work at all, or cost more than a normal build doing the same thing.
#5 and #6 aren't "builds".
Old 08-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: A name for builds that achieve goals in a way that is opposite of straightforward

Quote:
Greetings, all!

Does anybody of you have a unifying name for the sorts of builds that achieve the goal in a way that is opposite of straightforward.
My first thought was "Byzantine", but my second thought says that might not be right. My third thought was to ask everyone else...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Greetings, all!

Does anybody of you have a unifying name for the sorts of builds that achieve the goal in a way that is opposite of straightforward.
Examples:
Clumsy.

We've had a couple of players who liked doing that. We just called them "Dave Characters."

"That's great, Dave. That's what the party needed: a back up Bonsai gardener . . .."
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #14
Boomerang

I've never heard of a special name for builds like that. I would probably just call them: "unconventional".
Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #15
whswhs

I've been thinking about it, and I'm going to suggest two words for it. If you want a highfalutin', formal word, I'd go for an adjective: recherché. But if you want a slangy word that almost exactly fits, I think you want a noun: hack.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
My first thought was "Byzantine", but my second thought says that might not be right. My third thought was to ask everyone else...
I wouldn't say "Byzantine" because it implies elaborate, conspiratorial thinking and plotting. I've read, for example, of the concept of "Byzantine failures" in a technological system, which can only result if several different things all go wrong at once, as if they had been plotting together. I think you could do what Vicky is talking about with just one clever think. "Byzantine" really ought to imply more than cleverness.

Now "Baroque" would be closer, but I wasn't quite happy with it when I thought of my other proposals. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
PK

"Convoluted."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But if you want a slangy word that almost exactly fits, I think you want a noun: hack.
The general difference between a hack and an exploit is that hacks introduce something external or make changes, whereas exploits are using unexpected properties of the existing system. The concept here seems more exploit to me, although most of the examples aren't really either, IMO. #2 and #3 are the closest, but they strike me as unlikely to be more effective than a straightforward approach, which makes suggestions like baroque or convoluted seem to be pretty appropriate. Maybe "baroque exploit".

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The general difference between a hack and an exploit is that hacks introduce something external or make changes, whereas exploits are using unexpected properties of the existing system. The concept here seems more exploit to me, although most of the examples aren't really either, IMO.
Unless we're using the other meaning of hack (a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work), in which case doing it the 'normal' way might be interpreted as hackery.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #20
Johnny Angel

"Gordian"

?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullpup, chargen, chargen philosophy, rpg philosophy