Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
James Sawatsky

Default Item exchange

I think I've read the rules enough times... but I think I'm still confused.

You can only exhange Items for gold in rooms that allow this as a Deal. True/false?

You can exchange Items and/or gold for Levels at any point on your turn, no move cost. True/false?

You do not need to liquidate your Items in order to trade them for Levels. True/false?

Thanks!

-James
James Sawatsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Item exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Sawatsky View Post
I think I've read the rules enough times... but I think I'm still confused.

You can only exhange Items for gold in rooms that allow this as a Deal. True/false?
As far as I know, that's true. The rules seem a little contradictory on this because they say that you can sell Items for Gold, but that's true because of Deals. Also, if you could sell Items for Gold, you would get Change when buying a Level with all Items, which the rules specifically say doesn't happen.

Quote:
You can exchange Items and/or gold for Levels at any point on your turn, no move cost. True/false?
True. This is not a Deal, as it can be done in any room.

Quote:
You do not need to liquidate your Items in order to trade them for Levels. True/false?
No, you don't have to liquidate them, since you can't convert Items to Gold at will, and the rules very explicitly say you don't get change if you use all Items to buy a Level, as I said earlier. If you could liquidate your Items, you'd get change for buying a Level with all Items, or it would just make more sense to say you can't buy a Level with Items, only with Gold.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
stopyelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
No, you don't have to liquidate them, since you can't convert Items to Gold at will, and the rules very explicitly say you don't get change if you use all Items to buy a Level, as I said earlier. If you could liquidate your Items, you'd get change for buying a Level with all Items, or it would just make more sense to say you can't buy a Level with Items, only with Gold.
I re read your statement a few times and am having trouble understanding. Fro what I read in the rules, you can sell your items at anytime sans-move but ONLY to get a level and with no change returned in the form on money. This can be added with spare gold as well. so a 800gp item with 200 gold chips together will be a level at any time on your turn.
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopyelling View Post
I re read your statement a few times and am having trouble understanding. Fro what I read in the rules, you can sell your items at anytime sans-move but ONLY to get a level and with no change returned in the form on money. This can be added with spare gold as well. so a 800gp item with 200 gold chips together will be a level at any time on your turn.
I was trying to answer a very specific question, and nothing I've said above contradicts what you just said. The question being asked was whether Items had to be sold for gold before one could buy a Level, and I was saying that is not the case and giving reasons, based on the rules as written, for why it was not the case.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
James Sawatsky

Perfect. I just needed validation. Seems to be a pattern in my life.
James Sawatsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
stopyelling

Same here. Thanks Munchkin Man!
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote