Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: [Powers, Imbuements] Effects depending on MoS

The Margin-Based enhancement for Affliction (GURPS Psionic Powers) is the closest thing I can think of to a precedent for this. I think it was 3x the usual cost for 1xMoF the usual effect.

I think it's based on the basic set rule where you can pay 1/5 cost for an enhancement that only takes effect when your target's Margin of Failure is 5 or more. Somewhere I think someone actually explained the math behind the adaptation but I can't remember where...

The difference there is that leveled effect is based on the roll/resistance of your target, not you... except possibly with Malediction where it MIGHT be based on your Margin of Victory (their MoF plus your MoS) in which case your roll would help?

I like the idea of MoS-based rules even when your target doesn't have any kind of resistance roll, but I'm jut not sure if it should use the same (3x cost) type of math, or something else, balance-wise.

We already sort of have this in a way with Rapid-Fire rules too, so pricing should take how it compares to that into consideration.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
For example, imagine a 500 CP character with DX 20, Ambidexterity, Gunslinger, Imbuement 3 (Super), Modular Abilities 16 (Cosmic Powers; Super, -10%; Trait-Limited, Imbuement Skills, -20%), and Guns (Pistol) at DX+5. They can manifest anywhere from 1 to 16 Imbuement Skills for Guns (Pistol), ranging from a high of 22 to a low of 17.
That's powerful because you dropped 200 points on DX, on top of 40 points on Imbuement and 112 points on Modular Powers (Cosmic).
Similarly, I could make a character with 200 points on IQ, then drop 150 points on Mind Control (Long-Range 2) and be able to attempt to mind control anyone in the universe, Rule of 16 get on the way but I can also keep 4 slaves effectively without penalty. I personally don't think this builds an argument that Mind Control is cheap, but that high attributes and point totals can change the balance.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Mind Control is relatively easy to counter though. Immunity (Mind Control) is 10 CP, Immunity (Telepathy) is 15 CP, and Immunity (Psionic Powers) is 30 CP. Imbuements are more difficult to counter.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote