Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
coronatiger

Default Funny Character Names

So... What humorous character names have you encountered during your games?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Funny Character Names

I had a character named Zeribuchus (Zer-i-BU-cus). Everyone seems to get a kick out of the sound of that one for some reason.

Once PC, after a dragon holding them captive refused to give its name, started calling it "Charming".

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
Anders

I wanted to make an elf cook called Falaffiel, but my GM wouldn't allow me.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Stormcrow

Every character by one player was called Dihttoo, pronounced "ditto," and standing for "Do I Have To Think Of One?"
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Irish Wolf

My very first RPG experience was a solo D&D run. I played a ranger. Since he was a ranger, and all alone, I of course named him Klaiton Mur.

After a few years, I wanted a change of pace from the D&D characters I usually played, who had a pretty fair INT and all sorts of mental skills. Instead, I played a toon with a low INT and WIS, who generally solved issues by chopping them up into fine pieces. I stole the name from an old C-64 game - Mordo the Spaz.
Quote:
"Who?"

Careful. He who laughs at Mordo the Spaz soon eats Aimlessly Flailing Death!
I was a little sad when I found that nobody else can see my character names in Fallout 76. I spent all that time naming him Sendin D. Clauns for nothing! (Well, except my own amusement.)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
The Colonel

What is the etiquette these days with NPCs remarking on character names?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
So... What humorous character names have you encountered during your games?
I'm afraid it might be more like "Which ones have you perpetrated?".

I had a long-running Cleric from a Gypsy-like culture who had a sort of Chico Marx-like accnet and his name was "Idunno". Guess what his father said when the priest asked "What do you name this baby?". That name was a gift that kept giving as the DM would ask "Who's next in initiative order?" and our initiative tracker would answer "Idunno.". NPCs who asked "What's your name?" were another perpetual hazard. I blame Artifical Stupidity for that one. There was this piece of software that _insisted_ that I name my character first and would not let me change it later.

We don't use that software any more and it's almost a shame that this prevented the creation of "Place Holder".

Comparatively blatant was my barbarian named "Jaik of the Clan Lam Otta". His favorite action was "Rage!" and his favorite Spell was "Bull's Strength".

More subtle was my Elven Alchemist named "Paovarian" whcih quickly beame just "Pao" to the DM and group. You see, "Pao" (pronounced "Pow!" of course) is elven onomatopoeia and the full name translates as "He Who Loves Explosions".

During chargen for that same game a player christened his Half-Orc Paladin "Goreon". Another player decided that he would be that Paladin's Half-Orc brother. I said "Then that makes your character Goreoff." That lasted 16 levels. A Half-Elf half-sister named "Goriana" eventually turned up.

Then we had the Dwarven brothers "Eimgreit" and "Yurgreit" and I can honestly deny all connection to that one. I was busy playing the mage "Urnst Ironbanger" who was the descendant of a long line of a blacksmiths and not exactly subtle in his spell selection. Urnst missed the memo about wizards not wearing armor too.

Long, long ago I played a swashbucling halfling named "Errol Flynnbuck" and that was so much fun that he was eventually joined by Ricardo Montalbuck and Douglas Fairbuck jr. In a reference that might simply be too old for most of you, Ricardo had a pony named "Cordoba" whose saddle was made from "fine Corinthian leather". It might help to read that in the right accent (another Ricardo's of course).
Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Shostak

A bard named Playerp Iano
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Stormcrow

For a while I played a magic-user who called himself Arius the Wonderfully Grand. He was a total fop with delusions of grandeur: he was just a 1st level magic-user. His goal in life was to find the spell that plays your own personal musical score wherever you go.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
Anaraxes

A heroic paladin who would always arrive to help, Justin Time. And his analog, a fighter the party would bring along, Justin Case.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote