Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Basically what is says. Quirks and Perks that make sense as minor glitches or benefits of genetic engineering.

I'll start.

Juvenal Hair Pattern This can work either as a Quirk or a Perk, depending on the reactions the PC gets. Basically the PC went through Puberty but they didn't gain adult body hair. Generally they seem to have no body hair period and this includes underarm and pubic hair. Males have no beards, but they don't go bald either.

Late Onset Puberty Basically puberty is much closer to full brain maturity. The would be social issues for PCs with the Youth disadvantage who haven't gone through puberty yet.

Puberphonia This is the real world problem of puberty not altering the vocal range. Explained here!

Please give us your items.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 08-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Astromancer

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Another Perk might be Smells Good quiet simply your natural body odor is pleasant to the vast majority of people. This causes minor benefits from people being nice to you. It isn't as effective as a level of Charisma, but it can function in a similar way especially with people sexually interested in your sex and general type.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

How about quirks that people develop as a response to bioengineered people? I could definitely see "Prefers people with Sanitised Metabolism" and "Prefers Natural People" becoming somewhat common.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
How about quirks that people develop as a response to bioengineered people? I could definitely see "Prefers people with Sanitised Metabolism" and "Prefers Natural People" becoming somewhat common.
They both make perfect sense to me. Given the fact of Supernormal Stimulus as a real world thing, many people would be either wildly attracted too or repelled by bioengineered people.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Astromancer

Odd Coloration strikes me as a good quirk. Basically it's just minor accidental pigmentation changes.

Examples: Someone could have normal Caucasian pigmentation but they tan blue-black or chocolate brown. Someone who had stripes or spots. Any variant color pattern that would make a character stand out and would cost money to fix or cover-up.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Astromancer

A Quirk level version of Unusual Biochemistry is what Odd Smell works out as. The effects are somewhat random but often annoying. Animals either fear you as a strange beast or totally ignore you. You either bug people in some way they can't define, or you really turn them on, or they can't care about you one way or the other period.

The fact that these effects can sometimes be useful, sometimes a pain, but mainly even out in annoying ways, makes this a quirk.

For a perk version try No Smell. It's a very limited form of invisibility, but sometimes useful. Example: Bloodhounds can't track you.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

I had a cat that had an aggressive odor. She always smelled like she was an angry male. It had an obvious effect on other cats as they seemed to assume she was itching for a fight and would interpret any action as confirmation.
It was strong enough for even my girlfriend to notice.
Kind of scent based opposite of Pitiable.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I had a cat that had an aggressive odor. She always smelled like she was an angry male. It had an obvious effect on other cats as they seemed to assume she was itching for a fight and would interpret any action as confirmation.
It was strong enough for even my girlfriend to notice.
Kind of scent based opposite of Pitiable.
A perfect example of what I'm going for here.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
Astromancer

Odd Dentation might be another good Quirk/Perk. If the character spends a lot of time in a Goth subculture, obvious fangs could be a perk. Mainly this would be a Quirk. Memorable to scary animalistic teeth, but without any added damage bonus.

Odd Dentation could also go with advantages like Sharp Teeth simply to show the downside of the enhanced/modified teeth.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Two Opposable Thumbs. Whether due to a conversion or addition of a finger, the palm structure is different. May or may not be associated with changed manual dexterity. Either way, good luck trying to wear baseline human gloves.