Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default X-Wing Miniatures

My brother has brought the game to my attention. I have not played yet, but it looks to be the hot new thing (in certain circles, I suppose).

Has anyone played it? Is it worth the investment?

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: X-Wing Miniatures

It's a pretty good game. It's fairly simple but still interesting to play, and there's enough chrome to play with to give you good replay value. It is, though, pretty expensive, particularly if you're looking at buying additional ships. If you've got a very tight gaming budget, I'd reluctantly not recommend it.

BTW, they play it on Tabletop. You should watch them play it to get a better idea of whether or not it'd work for you.

Oh, and Wizkids (I think) just came out with a Star Trek game using the same rules. Don't know about the pricing there, but I gather that the quality of the miniatures isn't as good.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Urban

Expensive game for sure.

I bought the Millenium Falcon just to get a nice model to display and it is quite nice and detailed.

However, from my perspective the main drawback is that it seems to be for fighter and small freighter scale combat only, unless you use models of different scales to simulate bigger capital ships.
Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
It's a pretty good game. It's fairly simple but still interesting to play, and there's enough chrome to play with to give you good replay value. It is, though, pretty expensive, particularly if you're looking at buying additional ships. If you've got a very tight gaming budget, I'd reluctantly not recommend it.
Well, I've shelled out my millions in CCGs back in the day, so cost is not that much of a scary thing (although I have not bought into any new CCGs since Ice's METW and Decipher's SWTCG went belly-up: sad to see them go, but a god-send to my bank account). Ne'ertheless, it seems that play revolves around 100-point squadrons, which can be as little as a couple of ships with good pilots, or up to a half-dozen mediocre ones if you want to splash cash for the models. So even if you went nuts, you could probably have really decent options for less than $100, or just play for a minimal investment of $25.

Quote:
BTW, they play it on Tabletop. You should watch them play it to get a better idea of whether or not it'd work for you.
I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
Oh, and Wizkids (I think) just came out with a Star Trek game using the same rules. Don't know about the pricing there, but I gather that the quality of the miniatures isn't as good.
Star Wars geek. I enjoy a good Trek movie, but I'm not into the licensed product market there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
However, from my perspective the main drawback is that it seems to be for fighter and small freighter scale combat only, unless you use models of different scales to simulate bigger capital ships.
Actually, it seems that big ships are on the horizon for this game:

http://www.themetalbikini.com/

This is a blog on the game. Pretty well written, both to learn about the game as well as just enjoy the author's POV.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 09-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Has anyone played it?
It made me nostalgic for Star Warriors. I want to be able to adjust power.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
mearrin69

I've been buying them a bit. The models are good enough that I wanted them regardless of the game itself. Turns out that it's pretty fun to play. I'm interested to know how they handle larger ships. IMHO they did a better job than I expected on the rules expansion for the YT-1300 and the Firespray. They added a fun element to the scenarios we played.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Well, I've shelled out my millions in CCGs back in the day, so cost is not that much of a scary thing
In that case, buy!

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
I'm interested to know how they handle larger ships.
What I heard at GenCon is that these won't be tournament legal. The corvette and transport will be mission/scenario ships. But at less than $200 for the pair I'm totally happy with what I saw.

Now they just need a few larger ships for the Empire.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Now they just need a few larger ships for the Empire.
"That's no moon...that's my rent check." ;)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
"That's no moon...that's my rent check." ;)
"That's no city block...that's my miniature." X-Wing's figure scale is 1/270 which would make the original Death Star 593m in diameter!

Even the smallest Star Destroyer (Victory class) would be a barely playable 3.33 m.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote