Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Create Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Sorry, not clear enough I guess. I'd like to see ideas on building the relationship between gods and worshipers in a more concrete way. In particular the ability of a god to bestow a power on a follower and the god's need for followers. Something similar to Rolemaster's Chanelling spells and skills. I think the key feature would be that the god has the actual power and the follower can access it, so while a specialized patron might work for the follower, the god needs something more than an ally group or dependant.
A permanent Affliction of Power Investment would do the trick.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
David Johansen

ooh! I like that! Needs a lot of range and possibly the ability to cross dimensions and the kind of Cosmic that never misses but functionally it's what I'm looking for.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Prince Charon

I've been using GURPS Religion, which does kind of have systems for creating gods, though not as characters.

One thing that I would consider is whether you're creating a god that grants Divine Favor, and if so, what prayers are available. The narrower a god's or goddess's focus/portfolio/whatever, the narrower the range of Prayers they are likely to grant.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Cernig

Affliction of Power Investiture is an elegant solution.

If you wanted the God to get stronger with more worshippers, how would you go about that? Cosmic Leech (1cp/year per worshipper)? :-)
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'd probably make it more a sacrifice directed by the priests. Fatigue during worship funnels to the god.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Sorry, not clear enough I guess. I'd like to see ideas on building the relationship between gods and worshipers in a more concrete way. In particular the ability of a god to bestow a power on a follower and the god's need for followers. Something similar to Rolemaster's Chanelling spells and skills. I think the key feature would be that the god has the actual power and the follower can access it, so while a specialized patron might work for the follower, the god needs something more than an ally group or dependant.
I have tinkered with but not completed such a system.
Basically, the gods have the ability to Afflict advantages, but these abilities have Trigger or Environmental hinging on threshold numbers of believers.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #17
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cernig View Post
Affliction of Power Investiture is an elegant solution.

If you wanted the God to get stronger with more worshippers, how would you go about that? Cosmic Leech (1cp/year per worshipper)? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'd probably make it more a sacrifice directed by the priests. Fatigue during worship funnels to the god.
I was thinking that the central advantage of a deity would be one that allowed converting FP to CP and back (at something like 100:1). They then get FP (or really Energy Reserve) from worship and sacrifices, which they expend on powers such as Afflicting Power Investiture (great idea) and performing miracles. This gets them more worship/FP, which they spend on more powers/higher stats/less restricted powers.... Making a profit on all this determines whether a deity succeeds or fails.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Phantasm

I would also look at an Ally Group for the number of Divine Servitors (angels, devas, asuras, lesser gods, etc.) the deity in question has available to perform such mundane tasks as being messengers to mortals.

Also, a deity would need to have some kind of World Jumper (w/ Projection?) for paying his chosen prophets (not necessarily in the church hierarchy, mind) a 'friendly' visit.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #19
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I kind of like "gods" to be manifestations of faith and the shared beliefs of the worshipers (even if different branches have different beliefs; e.g., the multi-aspected nature of gods in Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous, where a god could be both a loving guardian and a humorless judge).

Thus, the priests get their powers, but we don't have to worry about manifesting gods.