Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Doctor Poo

Default Re: Reversal of Fortune

If it was an instant, then the only defense against a combat strength of 91 would be another RoF, which would be limited to the number of players if you own enough of the card, or a few cards that could cancel the combat entirely.

The fact that a simple potion can turn the tides back and forth so dramatically is what keeps the RoF from being entirely one-sided.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
Palmer

I think the key point here is that the scroll has you READ the numbers backwards.

It does not actually reverse them, merely the reading of them.

Thus it does take effect immediately... the effect persists for the whole combat, but the KoM is still used normally (18+2=20, not 83) the whole time.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Mister Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivjov View Post
1) I've found in my groups that starting with the RoFS in hand unbalances the game a little too much (especially before we had enough KoMs and RoFS for each player). We thus decided to just shuffle the RoFS cards into the normal treasure deck. Its worked great so far, but are we upsetting some delicate balance that we're currently unaware of?
Notice I went for the easy question!

Just in my own opinion, the reason for RoFS starting in the owner's hand is basically a matter of ownership. The owner paid for the Kill-o-meter, and the Scroll. Thus, by starting with it in hand:

he doesn't have to remember to find it in someone else's deck later.
he gets the benefit of the item he purchased (just like a Munchkin Shirt or bobblehead he purchased).

SJGames seems to operate by a general rule that anything you buy from them, you get to use, and you get to keep. Anything you win or otherwise get for free (like a Bookmark), you might have to give away or destroy. I like that, as a general operating guideline.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Doctor Poo

I'm surprised that it doesn't use something like a "promo" back, similar to the Cthulhu cards that sit in front of the owner at the start of a game.

(I like to shuffle mine in tho)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
Just in my own opinion, the reason for RoFS starting in the owner's hand is basically a matter of ownership. The owner paid for the Kill-o-meter, and the Scroll.
This needn't be a matter of opinion. That is the reason and it has been stated as such.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat-effectiveness, kill-o-meter, reversal of fortune