Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
luguvalium

Default Running and Engaging

I played Melee tonight for the first time in years and the following situation came up:

Abner has the initiative and runs more than half MA and ends up with with Brina in one of his front hexes. Brina hasn't moved yet. Is Brina engaged?

I would think Brina is not engaged since Abner moved more than half his MA and can not take any actions. If Abner moved half MA or less, I would think Brina is engaged. I don't find anything in the rules about this particular situation.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
zot

Default Re: Running and Engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
I played Melee tonight for the first time in years and the following situation came up:

Abner has the initiative and runs more than half MA and ends up with with Brina in one of his front hexes. Brina hasn't moved yet. Is Brina engaged?

I would think Brina is not engaged since Abner moved more than half his MA and can not take any actions. If Abner moved half MA or less, I would think Brina is engaged. I don't find anything in the rules about this particular situation.
Weird. That sure makes sense to me. It does remove a "chess tactic" but there's no way Abner can attack Brina this turn, so maybe it should. Maybe other folks on this board who are way more grognardian than I have more insight. I'll bet JK has an opinion on it...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
Abner has the initiative and runs more than half MA and ends up with with Brina in one of his front hexes. Brina hasn't moved yet. Is Brina engaged? ...
Hi Luguvalium, everyone.

She starts her movement in his front hex so she is engaged. On the other hand, she gets an attack and he does not, so she might not be engaged next turn, if she can hit him and knock him down.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Luguvalium, everyone.

She starts her movement in his front hex so she is engaged. On the other hand, she gets an attack and he does not, so she might not be engaged next turn, if she can hit him and knock him down.

Warm regards, Rick
Good point. Or she could just force him to retreat if no one else hits her.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
Chris Rice

I see this as a key feature of the combat system; taking the option to move over half MA to lock up (engage) and opponent is an important tactic. It's also why sometimes you choose to use initiative to go first rather than wait to see what the opponent will do.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
larsdangly

Brina is clearly engaged.

I don't know whether to call this element of the game a problem or a feature; it is how the game works and is one of the drivers of tactical decision making. It is important to any game like TFT that there be clear decisions with advantages and disadvantages; this is what gives the game a chess-like quality. Without such rules combat falls back to a more abstract state where there aren't any significant tactical decisions to be made - once combat starts you are simply rolling.

You could argue that this particular rule doesn't have the right sort over versimilitude you are after. But what would you replace it with? I think an interesting alternative would be to increase weapon ranges (e.g., spear = 3, sword 2, dagger or mace 1, etc.), reduce MA, and remove the concept of 'engagement' - unless someone has physically grabbed you, you can always move. This sort of game would be more dynamic (perhaps more chaotic) and a bit more realistic.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Oneiros

Another option might be: during the movement phase, you can move up to half your MA. In the action phase, if you are not engaged (or knocked down, or otherwise hindered), you can take any remaining movement you have left as your action.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Another option might be: during the movement phase, you can move up to half your MA. In the action phase, if you are not engaged (or knocked down, or otherwise hindered), you can take any remaining movement you have left as your action.
That's actually pretty good!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
That sounds like it could unlock some new tactics -- like one character could clear a path for another so they could engage an archer or wizard...
Old 06-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Weird. That sure makes sense to me. It does remove a "chess tactic" but there's no way Abner can attack Brina this turn, so maybe it should. Maybe other folks on this board who are way more grognardian than I have more insight. I'll bet JK has an opinion on it...
I wrote about the finer and esoteric benefits of "Engaging a Foe" on another post long ago. *Scroll Down* to the section under: On the 2nd Point for those who are interested.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote