Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
Magesmiley

Default Re: Yay for 1/64!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Remember guys - each mold tooled is potentially several hundred to several thousand dollars (depending upon complexity, materials), just for the mold, not counting the materials nor the setup, QC, nor packaging, shipping, warehousing.

And SJG is notorious for being hypercautious about fulfillability of KSs.

Plus, there's a much easier solution to mounting: a blob of blue-tac does nicely.
I'm aware of this. I spent a few years of my life working in injection molded plastics. It's why I suggested the colors - same mold, just clean out the barrel of any plastic left in the machine and change the additive to the plastic for the color. The main additional charge is the swapping of material. I'm assuming that they're already doing this for the included four colors - using the same mold for all of the bases.

A plastic peg mimicking the bottom of the cars would probably require new tooling (though depending on how the car molds were made it might be possible to just have a piece that gets swapped out). However... I suspect an enterprising 3D printer person might come up with one too.

But I get the desire to focus on what is currently in design.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 AM   #12
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I'm aware of this. I spent a few years of my life working in injection molded plastics. It's why I suggested the colors - same mold, just clean out the barrel of any plastic left in the machine and change the additive to the plastic for the color.
Cleaning the machine is expensive and eats into the time that it could be running. Changing plastic colors is not inexpensive or easy.

We have no plans to go beyond support for four-player games.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Cleaning the machine is expensive and eats into the time that it could be running. Changing plastic colors is not inexpensive or easy.

We have no plans to go beyond support for four-player games.
I know. Unfortunately I have a larger game group who like to play games with everyone, which is going to limit how often it gets to the table for us somewhat. :(

Old 09-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
TheAmishStig

Quote:
I know. Unfortunately I have a larger game group who like to play games with everyone, which is going to limit how often it gets to the table for us somewhat. :(
I doubt it's impossible...but with the 'ARRGH' moments I've had puttering with Ogre scenarios do understand where Phil's coming from with the warning; they can't guarantee the game will work as intended in a situation they haven't tested for and haven't planned / made decisions around, so have to be careful about managing expectations.

And yet somehow I get the feeling that the day after the "That's dedication..." backers start getting theirs there will be reports on the ways it breaks down under the strain of "larger than intended" games, suggestions for workarounds, etc...because if this community is one thing, it's very good at making Car Wars do tricks.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
steam_bucky

I'm keen to make some 1/64 scenery once we have some more info about the game.

@ Phil - have you play tested the game with any 3d Scenery?
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I doubt it's impossible...but with the 'ARRGH' moments I've had puttering with Ogre scenarios do understand where Phil's coming from with the warning; they can't guarantee the game will work as intended in a situation they haven't tested for and haven't planned / made decisions around, so have to be careful about managing expectations.

And yet somehow I get the feeling that the day after the "That's dedication..." backers start getting theirs there will be reports on the ways it breaks down under the strain of "larger than intended" games, suggestions for workarounds, etc...because if this community is one thing, it's very good at making Car Wars do tricks.
I know. I suspect that people will probably end up 3D printing additional colors of bases, whether the game is designed for it or not.

The biggest strain will be game length. I'm a bit concerned about that already when you're doing a higher point game.

There's another that I'm aware of that occurs already in 4 player (and to a lesser extent 3 player) match which would be much worse with a higher player count. You have a big advantage over to the player to your right - the ability to set your speed after they do and make multiple moves after they do is a massive advantage - it allows you to position yourself optimally to hit them and also minimize their ability to blast you. And in 4 player matches, you get that advantage 3 out of 4 turns (and 2 out of 3 in 3 player matches).

(Playtesters, if you're reading this, grab a superbooster and advanced brakes. Alternate your speed back and forth between speeds of 3 and 5. Focus your attacks on the player to your right and try to position yourself to minimize their ability to fight back.)

Old 09-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #17
schoon

Quote:
Maybe I'm being simplistic, but couldn't you just paint a set a different color to add more players?
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #18
ColBosch

How about we wait and see what the final game is like before we start making up house rules for it?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote