Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Rolelaying (Verbal) Intimidation - seeking various examples

Greetings, all!

So, I never roleplayed a character using Intimidation. Had one with a playable score, but never used it. I know, some people with direct me to Dirty Harry and stuff, but that doesn't seem to be helping: roleplaying is a primarily verbal (or even chat-textual) activity, so often it is only the description and the words that matter; also, things like picking someone up or other feats of strength are often a bad idea, as they require extra rolls to screw up; in FFRP (not GURPS, I know), feats of strength are even worse off, is it is considered a poplicy breach to unilaterally and automatically affect another character, while starting an intimidation attempt with a 'Me attempts to...' ruins the impression completely.

So, what are the examples and guidelines to verbal intimidation? I'm seeking out pretty varied ones, including but not limited to:
  • A street tough (which is not necessarily a big brute - could also be a skinny sneak with a high skill) 'warning' some yuppie(s)/noble(s) to stay out of his turf.
  • A scientist or mage telling some soldier/warrior not to touch anything in her lab.
  • A high beaureaucrat telling some overconfident 'adventurers'/PIs/jocks to not mess with him.
  • One noble or diplomat making a subtle threat at another, in an attempt to get some political favor.
  • A potential crime victim threatening to call the caps - in a way that makes it a real deterrent.
  • A shaman talking down a skeptical fellow warrior - or a modern skeptic.
  • A modern low-key mage/voodoo user/etc. scaring a modern skeptic - think Skeleton Key, but without the bells and whistles like mood music and the film director saying 'be scared now'.
  • Whatever GURPS IOU puts under the Intimidation part of Blackmail.
  • Whatever 'mental bullying' is under the Bully disadvsantage.
  • Whatever falls under Specious Intimidation.

Thanks in advance to all who answer
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Rolelaying (Verbal) Intimidation - seeking various examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
  • A scientist or mage telling some soldier/warrior not to touch anything in her lab.

This certainly counts. And six weeks later, he showed why it was a credible threat.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
chimchim

Quote:
Greetings, all!

A street tough (which is not necessarily a big brute - could also be a skinny sneak with a high skill) 'warning' some yuppie(s)/noble(s) to stay out of his turf.

Thanks in advance to all who answer
tough/thief "Hey mister how tall are you?"
stranger "five ten"
tough/thief "How much do you weigh?"
stranger "what the hell has that got to do with you?"
tough/thief "Oh its not for me mister the casket maker likes some idea how big to build em is all"

quoted from an old west game i run.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
Langy

Here's a great example of verbal intimidation.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
[*]A street tough (which is not necessarily a big brute - could also be a skinny sneak with a high skill) 'warning' some yuppie(s)/noble(s) to stay out of his turf.
It doesn't matter; the PCs won't listen.

Quote:
[*]A scientist or mage telling some soldier/warrior not to touch anything in her lab.

Quote:
[*]A high beaureaucrat telling some overconfident 'adventurers'/PIs/jocks to not mess with him.
Depends on the bureaucrat/nobleman/etc. If the NPC presents a credible threat, they present a credible threat. If they don't, they don't.

Quote:
[*]One noble or diplomat making a subtle threat at another, in an attempt to get some political favor.
See above.

Quote:
[*]A potential crime victim threatening to call the caps - in a way that makes it a real deterrent.
See above again. How is it is a real deterrent?

Quote:
[*]A shaman talking down a skeptical fellow warrior - or a modern skeptic.[*]A modern low-key mage/voodoo user/etc. scaring a modern skeptic - think Skeleton Key, but without the bells and whistles like mood music and the film director saying 'be scared now'.
Again - How?

Quote:
[*]Whatever GURPS IOU puts under the Intimidation part of Blackmail.[*]Whatever 'mental bullying' is under the Bully disadvsantage.[*]Whatever falls under Specious Intimidation.
Again - How?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Bruno

I play a lot of Dungeon Fantasy type games (in various systems) and I definitely play lots of big Barbarian types who are low on social finesse and high on muscles to flex. Intimidation tends to be the only social skill they're any good at, and only because of circumstantial bonuses (is gigantic, is carrying an axe the size of a volkswagon beetle car door, appears to be dressed in crudely-dismembered animal parts and the blood of his enemies, etc).

Verbal menace for these characters tends to be either very direct, or sort of an afterthought to underline whatever horrible thing they just did to the target's cohort. A simple, flatly stated "You next." goes a long way in the right situation, and if you're just opening up hostilities, I would totally accept a battlecry as the climax of an Intimidation attempt. The sort of posturing you see before a fight usually is Intimidation at it's most primal - get your aggression up, to both prepare yourself for a fight, and to try to scare your opponent into backing off before the fight starts.

Pulling back from a scene of imminent violence, if the character has already established themself to their audience as ready and capable to be violent (through a known history of violence, violent reputation, etc) a more-or-less direct threat can be perfectly effective. "Siddown or I'll tear your arms off." might be a touch of hyperbole (depends on how strong the character is) but as a GM I'd definitely allow an Intimidation roll to get the audience to "siddown". The explicit threat may surplus, of course - a bit of muscle tension goes a long way with the right physique.

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for the more subtle "quiet menace" approach.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

The PCs could be scientists or thugs, you know.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:

Even if the players choose to ignore that their characters have been influenced, the GM should still penalise them as discribed under "Influencing the PCs" basic page 359.
Quote:
Depends on the bureaucrat/nobleman/etc. If the NPC presents a credible threat, they present a credible threat. If they don't, they don't.
If they succeed with their influence roll, the the GM should describe them as presenting a credible threat.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Fwibos

The best one I've seen recently is from another game. The character in question was mailed a letter containing a sniper round and the phrase: "Bullets are cheap."

Unfortunately, in this day and age intimidating words don't seem to do much (or everyone is ridiculously bad at it). We've all seen too many action movies where the intimidating fellow is taken down by a more intimidating fellow. Hell, half our hero's are determinators.

Of course, Serenity/Firefly Operatives are very good at deadpan intimidation. One with soliloquies of honor, one with just craziness.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
PCs will listen after they loose the Intimidation vs Will contest and find themselves at a penalty in the area because their characters are nervous.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, intimidation, roleplaying