Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
mook

Default Examples of 4e Combat

Howdy Folks -

Dismayed by the lack of full GURPS 4th edition combat examples, I've started a little project of my own to fill the niche, for the benefit of myself and others. The more feedback and corrections I can get the better, so feel free to look 'em over and point out the mistakes I've made (of which I'm sure there are plenty) - it would be much appreciated.

So far I've written nine examples - three melee (weapons), three close combat, and three ranged (more coming as I have time, and once I'm sure the initial nine are correct as written). My guess is that the close combat examples will have the most mistakes - I still seem to be a bit thrown by some of the grappling rules.

Suggestions as well as corrections welcome - the page is at:

http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples

Thanks!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
AstralRunner

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

In the first round of the first close combat example, Zach Red moves into his opponent's hex to kick. This is a valid move, but is not necessary; kicks have Reach C, 1. It might be worthwhile to point this out in the description of that maneuver.

Last edited by AstralRunner; 02-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
AstralRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
I still seem to be a bit thrown by some of the grappling rules.
Ba-DUM-Dum-CHING! ;)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Daverius

Quote:
Howdy Folks -

Dismayed by the lack of full GURPS 4th edition combat examples, I've started a little project of my own to fill the niche, for the benefit of myself and others. The more feedback and corrections I can get the better, so feel free to look 'em over and point out the mistakes I've made (of which I'm sure there are plenty) - it would be much appreciated.

So far I've written nine examples - three melee (weapons), three close combat, and three ranged (more coming as I have time, and once I'm sure the initial nine are correct as written). My guess is that the close combat examples will have the most mistakes - I still seem to be a bit thrown by some of the grappling rules.

Suggestions as well as corrections welcome - the page is at:

http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples

Thanks!
I think its really cool, the way you laid out the examples. This is great for beginner Gurps players who didn't have a chance to actually play the game but have read over the books. Good job! Right off the bat, I've noticed that you had your combatants roll for hit location. I think that is an optional rule. If the player doesn't declare a hit location than I believe it defaults to the torso.

FYI: From your first combat example. If you take more than half your HP in damage, then you have received a major wound and have to roll against HT or suffer Knockdown.

BTW great website

Last edited by Daverius; 02-06-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: another fix
Daverius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
AstralRunner

Quote:
32 points of impaling basic damage to the Skull - 2 DR leaves 30 points of penetrating damage. 30 points x the 4 wounding modifier for Hit Location: Skull = 120 points of damage. Zach's HP are reduced to -110 (and he has a shock penalty of -4).
LMAO! The shock penalty is a bit redundant at this point, wouldn't you say? Don't remove it, though. I love this line.

However, there is an error in this example: the rifle in question deals pi damage, not imp. Not like that helps Zach, though. Also, you cite -10xHP as the point beyond which there is no chance of survival. While technically true, he would be just as dead at -5xHP, which is the point of automatic death, barring powerful magic. -10xHP is usually the point beyond which that doesn't even work.

Last edited by AstralRunner; 02-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRunner
In the first round of the first close combat example, Zach Red moves into his opponent's hex to kick. This is a valid move, but is not necessary; kicks have Reach C, 1. It might be worthwhile to point this out in the description of that maneuver.
Good call - this is supposed to be a learning tool after all.

Quote:
I still seem to be a bit thrown by some of the grappling rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
Ba-DUM-Dum-CHING! ;)
OMG - can't even believe I missed that when I typed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverius
I think its really cool, the way you laid out the examples. This is great for beginner Gurps players who didn't have a chance to actually play the game but have read over the books. Good job! ... BTW great website
Thanks very much.

Quote:
Right off the bat, I've noticed that you had your combatants roll for hit location. I think that is an optional rule. If the player doesn't declare a hit location than I believe it defaults to the torso.
That's correct, and in my own games I don't bother rolling random hit location either (unless it truly would be random - as you say, I just default to torso unless another target is specified). However as I'm trying to keep, as much as possible, every single RAW option 'turned on', I figured I'd include the random Hit Location rolls too.

Quote:
FYI: From your first combat example. If you take more than half your HP in damage, then you have received a major wound and have to roll against HT or suffer Knockdown.
Absolutely right - in Turn Four, Arthur suffers a Major Wound and it isn't stated. The first mistake!

Quote:
LMAO! The shock penalty is a bit redundant at this point, wouldn't you say? Don't remove it, though. I love this line.
Hahaha, yeah, the dude's definitely in trouble. :D But I figured if I *didn't* note the shock penalty, someone would point it out as an errata.

Quote:
However, there is an error in this example: the rifle in question deals pi damage, not imp. Not like that helps Zach, though. Also, you cite -10xHP as the point beyond which there is no chance of survival. While technically true, he would be just as dead at -5xHP, which is the point of automatic death, barring powerful magic. -10xHP is usually the point beyond which that doesn't even work.
Oops - nice catch on the sniper rifle damage, and the HP thresholds.

Thanks a lot for the corrections folks, I'll fix 'em up tomorrow sometime. If you notice any more, please let me know.

After these nine are thoroughly picked over I'll do a few with more advanced weaponry (nothing past a modern firearm yet), maybe a shield bash or two, an arm lock, etc. There's a lot to cover, even limiting myself to the Basic set!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Hai-Etlik

In example one, turn two. You have green spending a movement point on an Attack manoeuvre. MP only occur in a Move, Move and Attack, All out Attack, or All out Defence (Increased Dodge) manoeuvre (B387). What he is actually doing is taking a step.

I'd replace:

"Spends 1 Movement Point (MP) to move forward 1 hex"

With something like:

"Has a step of 1 and uses it to move forward one hex."

The same things shows up in a few other combats.

Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 02-07-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
AstralRunner

I would also recommend including at least one example in which an unarmed combatant losses a hand from an armed parry, or at least losses the use of one.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
Smirg

In melee 2 with a nasty GM, Zachs Wait wouldn't trigger. He specifies to strike the first enemy who approaches with his axe, while he has a mace ready (he probably doesn't even have an axe).

Of course, this is a minor detail...
Smirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Daverius

In the close combat example, Arthur grapples Zach with two arms. Zach attacks Arthur and Arthur parries. I think it says that if you are grappling with both your hands, then you can not use them, unless you opt to grapple with one hand.
Daverius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, tutorial