Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Adaptive Ability

Hi y'all.

Is there a way to stat out an adaptive ability?

For example, the DC Comics character Doomsday becomes more resistant to a previous method used to kill him. The Marvel Comics character Darwin has a similar ability. From Star Trek, the Borg are able to adapt to overcome the defences of their enemies.

Is there a way to stat out an Advantage in a similar manner?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Adaptive Ability

For defenses that change slowly, I'd just implement it as spending character points on defense against whatever took you out last. For defenses that change in a combat useful time scale, I'd probably use modular abilities or simple defenses with a limitation "doesn't work the first time I'm hit with the effect".
Old 12-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Refplace

Darwin would best be built with a Modular Ability pool or Morph as he changes back after the threat has passed.
The Borg I would go with a Modular Ability pool or spending points as they can use previously learned defense again later.
Doomsday is more spending points as the defense does not fade.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Simply spending CP works best if the acquired defense is not only slow, but permanent. ("I spent the past few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.")

If the adaptive ability points are supposed to change into something else, then Modular Ability. "Points" here may be one of those game compromises imposed by necessity, for balance between PCs (too much disparity in defense power and you get the problem that anything powerful enough to threaten AdaptoBoy annihilates his companions) and limiting overall game balance (it's hard to tell stories about invulnerable heroes, hence the existence of Kryptonite in so many Superman tales.)

Do Doomsday or Darwin ever become once again vulnerable to something they'd acquired immunity to in the past? Or is it a one-way trip to total invulnerability by stages?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Hi y'all.

Is there a way to stat out an adaptive ability?

For example, the DC Comics character Doomsday becomes more resistant to a previous method used to kill him. The Marvel Comics character Darwin has a similar ability. From Star Trek, the Borg are able to adapt to overcome the defences of their enemies.

Is there a way to stat out an Advantage in a similar manner?
IIRC, in doomsday's he has unkillable 2, and a whole bunch of DR, IT:DR Immunity's etc that have a limitation: "doesn't apply to attack types that haven't reduced him to - 10×HP in the past" I'd guess - 5%*.

*I'm sleep deprived and sick, so I'm probably not thinking this though.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Coinage

I'm thinking of something like the Borg, something that would adapt rapidly. So, I'm guessing a Modular Ability (B72, P62) w/ a whole bunch of limitations designed to make sure of game balance.

Is there some way to limit how many points can be used in the Modular Ability per turn? I guess it would just be a whole bunch of limitations.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
I'm thinking of something like the Borg, something that would adapt rapidly. So, I'm guessing a Modular Ability (B72, P62) w/ a whole bunch of limitations designed to make sure of game balance.

Is there some way to limit how many points can be used in the Modular Ability per turn? I guess it would just be a whole bunch of limitations.
No need for limitations to enforce game balance on most traits. Your paying a substantial premium for the ability to swap points around. The limitations are used to bring costs down.
I recommend reading the ability carefully in Basic and Powers where it goes into more detail and has examples where you only switch so many points a turn.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
No need for limitations to enforce game balance on most traits. Your paying a substantial premium for the ability to swap points around. The limitations are used to bring costs down.
I recommend reading the ability carefully in Basic and Powers where it goes into more detail and has examples where you only switch so many points a turn.
Gotcha. Thx.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Stormcrow

I'd say it's simply an Unusual Background that allows immediately spending character points on anything that can be justified as an adaptation, bypassing the usual rules for character development. The adaptation should be very specific, reducing the point cost. This requires either having a large pool of character points available at all times or the GM allowing you to go into point-debt.

Example: Character X is poisoned with iocane powder but manages to survive. He adds Immunity to Iocane Powder [5] to his character sheet and must pay 5 character points. Most characters couldn't just develop an immunity to iocane powder with a single dose.

Example: Character X is shot by a laser pistol. After taking 10 points of damage, he adds Damage Resistance 10 (vs. Lasers) [20] to his character sheet and must pay 20 character points.

If such a character has no choice but to adapt, then they'll forever be paying for adaptations, never for what the player wants. Perhaps the player can mitigate the debt by saying that the adaptation is slow. For instance, being shot by a laser only strengthens the Damage Resistance by 1 level per shot with non-zero penetrating damage, so each such hit only costs 2 character points (Damage Resistance 1 (vs. Lasers) [2]).

Exactly how much this would cost as an Unusual Background, I don't know. Probably a lot.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Anthony

Before getting into complexities like modular abilities, you should consider what sort of defense your adaptive ability is supposed to grant. For example, most versions of this would be covered by:
DR X (Limited: only effects that I have been exposed to, -??). Value depends on how long the adaptation lasts, might be as much as -40% if it resets in a minute or so, -5% or less if it lasts forever).
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (same limit).