Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #351
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Olive practices for a while, pries up some circuits, joins some wires, and when she is tired, she goes to sleep.

Her dreams are vivid. She dreams of the planet, of massive starfish carefully tending plants with a nearly religious respect for the growths. The "crops" featured a central stalk, nearly 6 feet tall, with smaller branches coming off the base. The central stalk had four big solid leaves like umbrellas coming off of it, and under three of those leaves, large multilobed red growths. The plants were eirily similar, the exact same shape every time. Other plants were around, but the creatures seemed to be caring for that type.

Her dream shifted back to the beagle, and she saw a pod separate from the station-sized ship. At least in her dream.

She woke up to an alarm of sorts, going off on all of her screens. Something about unauthorized access and mutiny. Details are emblazoned across her screen.

This Vessel is on lockdown. Several members of the crew are coordinating unauthorized actions. If you see anyone performing unauthorized activity, report them. The safety of this ship may depend upon it. Do not respond to orders from any of the following individuals:

A long list follows, with pictures and links to details on each person. The only person Olive immediately recognizes is Mr. Welker.

Two other messages are waiting for her. One is flagged as from an individual on the list of unauthorized actors. The other is not.

(warning - this individual is engaged in unauthorized activity. This message has been approved and forwarded)
From Onyeka Uzochi
What are You? You are the only person we have found here. You do not command the ship. They cannot see you. We can see you. You are very strong. Can you hear us? Do you oppose us?


From Aaron Till
I'm not sure what's different about you, but your mind is different from the others. If you do not rule these minds, what do you do with them? We wish that you would respond to our messages.

Cordially,
Myself.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #352
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Olive practices for a while, pries up some circuits, joins some wires, and when she is tired, she goes to sleep.

Her dreams are vivid. She dreams of the planet, of massive starfish carefully tending plants with a nearly religious respect for the growths. The "crops" featured a central stalk, nearly 6 feet tall, with smaller branches coming off the base. The central stalk had four big solid leaves like umbrellas coming off of it, and under three of those leaves, large multilobed red growths. The plants were eirily similar, the exact same shape every time. Other plants were around, but the creatures seemed to be caring for that type.
When she awakes, she's going to do searches for starfish from the Earth records and I guess look to see if they're mentioned in any available info on the destination.

Her dream shifted back to the beagle, and she saw a pod separate from the station-sized ship. At least in her dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She woke up to an alarm of sorts, going off on all of her screens. Something about unauthorized access and mutiny. Details are emblazoned across her screen.

This Vessel is on lockdown. Several members of the crew are coordinating unauthorized actions. If you see anyone performing unauthorized activity, report them. The safety of this ship may depend upon it. Do not respond to orders from any of the following individuals:

A long list follows, with pictures and links to details on each person. The only person Olive immediately recognizes is Mr. Welker.
Would this mean Welker was demoted from his usual rank and permissions?

Two other messages are waiting for her. One is flagged as from an individual on the list of unauthorized actors. The other is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(warning - this individual is engaged in unauthorized activity. This message has been approved and forwarded)
From Onyeka Uzochi
What are You? You are the only person we have found here. You do not command the ship. They cannot see you. We can see you. You are very strong. Can you hear us? Do you oppose us?
*wonders a moment why unauthorized individuals would have their messages approved*

*sends a numbered reply to Uzochi*
1) I'm not sure what you mean, aren't there lots of people on this ship?
2) Who is they? Some people can overlook me due to my height but I have been noticed by some crew...
3) I'm not sure what you mean by strong because I can't lift very much...
4) By "hear" do you mean getting this message?
5) I don't really know enough about anyone to oppose them, so long as they don't mean me harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
From Aaron Till
I'm not sure what's different about you, but your mind is different from the others. If you do not rule these minds, what do you do with them? We wish that you would respond to our messages.

Cordially,
Myself.
*responds*
My mind might be different because I am forgetful.
I... share ideas with other minds by talking to them?
This is the first message I've gotten from you to my knowledge.
Is it possible you sent some to me days ago and I forgot receiving them?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #353
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
When she awakes, she's going to do searches for starfish from the Earth records and I guess look to see if they're mentioned in any available info on the destination.
Earth records don't have any shots of the planet's surface close enough to make out animals. However, the beagle's own records are flush with pictures of the creatures, in many different types. (see post #313 to see where Yuria showed her these pictures before)

Quote:
Would this mean Welker was demoted from his usual rank and permissions?
He is at least disabled from his permissions. His rank is probably suspended rather than revoked at this point. Does olive look up his exact status or that of the others?

She receives responses to her letters very quickly:

Uzochi:
There are many beasts. Only one person. Only you. Others have empty minds. They do not know what you are. They have no memory of you. Why do you hide? Why do you not hear us speak to you? Speak with words and thoughts and commands.


Aaron:
From Aaron Till
Do you make them forget you or does that just happen? I am not sure why that would be useful, but it is confusing to us. We don't speak with noise, we speak with speech and with ideas. We sent our memos to you only a day ago, and we will continue sending them. We are not animals, but we speak from a distance. We are far away from you, but wish to be closer.

Cordially,
Myself.

PS. Myself does not mean Me.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #354
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Does olive look up his exact status or that of the others?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She receives responses to her letters very quickly:

Uzochi:
There are many beasts. Only one person. Only you. Others have empty minds. They do not know what you are. They have no memory of you. Why do you hide? Why do you not hear us speak to you? Speak with words and thoughts and commands.


Aaron:
From Aaron Till
Do you make them forget you or does that just happen? I am not sure why that would be useful, but it is confusing to us. We don't speak with noise, we speak with speech and with ideas. We sent our memos to you only a day ago, and we will continue sending them. We are not animals, but we speak from a distance. We are far away from you, but wish to be closer.

Cordially,
Myself.

PS. Myself does not mean Me.
to Uzochi:
"I feel like mine is the mind who is empty. Why should anyone here remember me if I don't remember them?"

to Aaron:
"I don't think I can make people forget things. Myself or others. I don't understand the distinction you draw between noise and speech, or me and myself."
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.