Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
bocephus

Default Item building help (communication stones)

Im sure at some point I have come across an item that was essentially a pair of "stones" that were linked to each other and transmitted local sounds in an always on state. I have been unable to track down anything online or in my in books, other than a reference note I made myself about how I could use it but not where I got the idea.

Im not really up on item building, most of my time has been spent trying to figureout how manastones, powerstones, and simple things that basically use a spell as written.

Im trying to do a better job at sticking to the RAW. Im using Basic, Magic, Thaumatology (which I got just recently and havent really had time to dig into it deeply) , and low tech (which Isnt really relevant)

My world is a TL3.5+, no gunpowder tech, but magic has become part of a utility market because of a home brew rule that makes powerstones more accessible (larger quantities of certain purified metals can be used instead of Gems) but less transportable.

Im thinking that a pair of stones (doesnt have to be stones per-se, but something in a pair with some durability and commonality) could be enchanted with Message, Voice and Far-Hearing. Essentially my idea is to bind the pair to be always on duplex receiver/transmitters.

The catch is that Im trying to do it somewhat "power economical" and want there to be limitations that make it impractical to use like a cell phone or party line its just two 'always on' speakers that send and receive sound in their vicinity.

I really don't understand Item building when it seems like Im combining things in ways that the spell didn't totally intend.

What I don't want is Mage only usable items, or items that center on knowing a person. Im looking for a working mans "Communication" item that centers on the items not the people holding them, and I find it best if the item is to be always on as a specific limitation.

I will give an example of use to help. The Crown Guard has a "Dispatch office" where there are two rooms. One is for civilian traffic and one is for guard traffic. Guard groups have a a stone that pairs to the Guard traffic room, and civilians/govt offices might have a stone that pairs to the civilian room, high rank officials and affluent/powerful people might get a more private communication but you should start to see the logistics of why this cant be just open to everyone cause any talking in the room is heard by every other stone in the room. This facilitates communication, but its not a "switchboard" or private. To shut off your stone you box it in a padded box that stops it transmitting, or you have it with you knowing any one could be listening on the other end. A mining Foreman might have stones for each team.

Yes people could also use it for person to person, but as each requires a carried object (which I envision about the size and weight of an egg) it quickly becomes impractical for carrying more than one or two.

At some point I imagine distance limitations coming into play, but for the most part the idea is that this would be good for 1 mile or 3 miles then simply not work till they were brought back into proximity.

Its also possible that the relative value of the material would effect the distance, but I dont think that has to be part of the item build process (does it?). I also see a lot of potential for how it would impact secret keeping and espionage.

Last edited by bocephus; 01-04-2020 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added the last line and some clarity in the first line
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
Gnomasz

Default Re: Item building help (communication stones)

I think that would be a pair of Wizard Ears. You need to enchant the pair twice, so that each stone serves both as the sender end receiver.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Sorenant

I don't recall any such specific item, but is there a reason you couldn't use the Hand Radio (B288)?
It costs $100 at TL7 so price at TL3.5 would be something like $100*(2^3)*1.5=$1,200. That it is a "magical communication stone" and not a walkie-talkie could be considered just a fluff, it's not as tough as normal rock because the magic in it is more easily damaged than the stone vessel itself. Or you could make it Rugged, and counterbalance the cost by applying a custom "nuisance effect" that makes it always on.
The cost and need to recharge somehow (likely requiring an enchanter) every 12 hours would keep it from being used by ordinary people.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
bocephus

Im taking a whack at this

Material cost: $100 -a pair of stone ears carved with a mouth in the center of the ear, each one approx size of an egg and coming from the same piece of larger stone.

Enchantments: Wizard Ear 450 mana * 2 * distance limitation 3miles (40% base) = 360mana per pair
I added the distance limitation because I want this to exist and I want it to be more affordable. The Wizard Ear spell as written has no distance limitation so I back tracked from the distance chart at 10% per hop to 3miles. Technically as written it goes further than 1000miles but I dont want these to be overly accessible either.

Enchanting Cost ~: $9,960 standard / $5,400 DF

Total Cost: $10,060 standard / $5.500 DF

I know Im in the right ballpark, not sure I did my calculations correct.
I used someone elses post of: Enchanting Price in all cases to be Standard ($1 per energy point to 60 -- $33 per energy point past that;) / DF pricing ($1 per energy point to 100 -- $20 per energy point past that).

Im curious about the potential of a "Breakable" modifier and where I can find that info. From the examples I saw it has to do with DR and I had an interesting idea of a yet cheaper version made of glass with less range (1/2 mile) for the general population, and more expensive one for Nobles / professionals that has more range (10 miles) out of silver or some precious metal.

Last edited by bocephus; 01-05-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
I don't recall any such specific item, but is there a reason you couldn't use the Hand Radio (B288)?
It costs $100 at TL7 so price at TL3.5 would be something like $100*(2^3)*1.5=$1,200. That it is a "magical communication stone" and not a walkie-talkie could be considered just a fluff, it's not as tough as normal rock because the magic in it is more easily damaged than the stone vessel itself. Or you could make it Rugged, and counterbalance the cost by applying a custom "nuisance effect" that makes it always on.
The cost and need to recharge somehow (likely requiring an enchanter) every 12 hours would keep it from being used by ordinary people.
I want it to be usable by normal people, I'm specifically trying to avoid this being a toy only for the elite.

I also dont want it to have a recharge under normal conditions, maybe quirked ones only work in daytime or something similar to power stones (also cheaper so a farmer might afford something like this in the house).

The radio cost did give me an idea for getting the cost where I wanted it.