Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Is this because you think IQ is generally undercosted, or because you envision Per and Will being more important than usual in this particular campaign?
I think IQ is in most cases generally undercosted. Per and Will are both going to important as well. The main purpose is to encourage talents instead of sky high IQ and still keep flexible will and Per.

Quote:
Does this permit unlimited uses of Extra Effort for sprinting and fighting? If not, I'm not sure if this compares at all well with the equivilent point value of extra FP. If so, I think it might be too much.
No, extra effort is not included. Standard sprinting, rapid movement, and so forth is included though.

Quote:
Is purchase of more than one area class permitted? Are Heaven, Hell, and Faerie considered separate planets for this purpose? Is 'the Gate expert' a valid character concept? Are Gates dense enough that a very high effective Hidden Lore (Neighborhood-level Gates) skill can be expected to provide tactically useful teleportation, or is it more of a strategic/logistical 'get from A to B' kind of thing?
Yes, they should be considered seperate planets, but only faerie has gates into the mortal world, and parts of faerie don't even have that. Yes, more than one area class is permitted (see the hermit above). 'Gate expert' is not large enough for an entire character, and please note one character already has two gate classes at 17. Neighborhood level Gates will only provide tactically useful teleportation in places of extreme magical significance. Even then, it is less of moving all around the place and more of 'in and out from two directions the mage trying to pull off this ritual wasn't aware of'.

Quote:
Would an onmyōji with abilities focused mostly on Luck and Serendipity be appropriate?
Yes, I think it would be.

Quote:
Damages the *bound* soul, the soul of the necromancer, or both?
The bound soul. Some one who has been turned into a zombie cannot have a 'speak with dead' type ritual, and even after they are killed will have fewer memories, information, and personality than someone who wasn't.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
I've been toying with the idea of a Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū
guy with both martial-arts chops and limited Magery or Mysticism abilities, since the style is said to have originated in a vision from a god of thunder, fire and swordsmanship, and could easily involve instruction in magic as well as fighting in a MH universe.

Might involve too much trampling on others' niches and violating the informal 'either Wildcards or cool powers' MH design rule, though, which is why I'm considering other concepts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Tall order! You'll have to pick a Style from Martial Arts or build one and submit it... I considered asking about an Ultimate Style! but I just assumed that wouldn't fly with our GM, as it's pretty over the top.

Ericthered: If I was wrong to assume that, and an Ultimate Style! (MA Pg. 144) isn't too over the top, I'd gladly pay the 20 point Style Familiarity (All) to switch to it (The caption describes that some Ultimate Styles could include weapons, and I'd be thrilled if it included some traditional weapons, even at some default value)

No offense Toptomcat, but I do have the first foot in the door of this particular niche...

That's a good point I forgot to take into account when asking about a curse or Jiang Shi... That possibility is probably mutually exclusive with my Style! If so, human it is!
Ultimate Style is too over the top. Sorry.

On the other hand, I wasn't planning on enforcing the 'either Wildcards or cool powers' MH design rule. I hope to use oversight and teamwork to avoid niche trampling.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
Ransom

Super soldier, martial artist, hermit wizard, and it looks like maybe some sort of sage? Looks like you guys could use a face, if you are still accepting players.

I'm thinking maybe a clergyman of some sort, built on either the Crusader or Sleuth template, who tries to protect people and keep the lights of hope burning in this time of darkness. Could have interesting interplay with Refplace's character with a coinciding Sense of Duty but conflicting Intolerances.

How are we treating "evil supernatural powers" and the like in this setting? I assume that the fae would not generally fall into that category? I'm not really envisioning him as the undead-turning, holy water slinging inquisitor so much as a man of God who tries to help the weak and has faith in God's providence (less Smite, more Mystic Coincidence).

Last edited by Ransom; 01-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
the_matrix_walker

Eric has said that slots are only confirmed when a character is submitted and approved, so I think you're good to go if you want to post something.

A face-man does sound like a good addition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ultimate Style is too over the top. Sorry.
No need! As I said before, that was my assumption.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
Ransom

Are quirks included in the disadvantage limit? Because if so I need to shave another 5 points off disadvantages that come with the template.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Are quirks included in the disadvantage limit? Because if so I need to shave another 5 points off disadvantages that come with the template.
No, it does not.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #27
the_matrix_walker

It's -75 with the quirks.

you can take -55 points from the template
And take -15 points fromthe lens (WhyWe Fight, MH1 p. 7).
And -5 points in quirks.

As indicated on MH1 p. 26
Quote:
"Heroes built “from scratch,” using the rules in this chapter, should also have a -75-point limit, following the same -55/-15/-5 breakdown regardless of power level."
Quote:
No, it does not.
Ninja'd!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-04-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Ninja'd!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #28
Ransom

The original post states that the disadvantage limit is -60. Is that a typo, or do we need to remove some of the disadvantages from the templates?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #29
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
The Disadvantage limit should be -70. I missed the motivatIonal lenses when I counted. Yes, You will have to lower the sage and Mage to work with the per/will rule.
It has been addressed.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #30
Ransom

Ok, great. My current concept is a small-time pastor or missionary who likes to get out in the woods in his spare time. He has discovered the existence of dark things that prowl in the night, and now hunts them on the side when he is not preaching the word of God to the downtrodden masses.

Mechanically, he uses the Crusader template with the Accidental Hero motivational lens. His Powers will be rather low key: Resistance/Armor of Faith to represent his sturdy resolve, and Visualization/Supernatural Sense to represent his insight and ability to ferret out the forces of evil.

Are allies a possibility? He could have a sidekick (maybe a relative, or even his wife, though in that case it'd probably be a Dependent too and that might make me run afoul of the disadvantage limit).

Tags
ghostly movement