Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #191
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
1) if a mage has their casting ability taken away by magic, do their charms still work? This is important because one of the charms is meant to restore a casters powers --
No, once charms are made they are a self-contained entity. A case could be made that the charms "go away" when you can't access your powers...but PK (and I) think that the GM should really just gloss that over and ignore it. There is a post about it somewhere round these parts.

Quote:
2) If I want to reinforce armor, (lets say I want to make an injury resistant leather coat, harry Dresden style), Am I bestowing a bonus, adding a trait (DR) or doing something else?
Altered Traits + Subject Weight + Strengthen Matter.

Quote:
3) how does the 'flaming sword' build work? Right now the last ritual in the list is that spell, and its just taking object weight, duration, and the external damage numbers (*3 the listed). Is that legal? Relatedly, if I want to give someone the ability to throw fire balls for 10 minutes, how does that work?
This is REALLY tricky, and PK answered part of this in the other thread, but giving a object a innate attack isn't exactly illegal...but you have to keep a hold on it or casters will imbue all their gear with magical powers and then either overpower everything or get screwed when someone casts dispel magic.

Quote:
Create Gate
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: Speed, Duration.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This spell creates an open gate from one place to the other that persists for 10 minutes. Its easy to see, but is a very useful spell if you can't find an existing gate that goes where you want to.

Typical Casting: Greater Create XR (6) + Speed 500 mi/sec (32) + duration 10 minutes (+1) = 114 (38*3)
You need Range and Speed for Gates. So add another 32 energy here.

Quote:
Banisher:
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads,lesser control spirit, lesser sense spirit
Inherent Modifiers: Range.

finds the nearest demon within 10 feet and sends it back to hell. This ritual is almost always cast as a charm.

Greater create XR(6) + lesser control spirit(5)+ lesser sense spirit(2)+ 10 yard range (5) = (18)*3 = 54
Good, but you need Greater Destroy Crossroads and Lesser Sense Spirit.

Quote:
Curse Killer:
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Magic, Lesser Sense Magic
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight, range, subject weight.

Curse killer is a powerful spell aimed at destroying other spells. When cast upon a subject it goes through all spells on the target and dispels them, starting with the largest it can dispel and working its way down until it runs out of energy
Dispelling magic doesn't work like this, the spell affects ALL spells in its area as long as it's got energy to knock it down. Basically, it doesn't take 48 energy to knock down 6 8-energy spells - just one 8-energy dispel will take care of all of them.

Quote:
A different but very similar ritual is aimed at areas rather than subjects

Greater Destroy Magic (5)+ Lesser Sense Magic(2)+ range 10 yards (4) Subject Weight 5 tons (6) + fluff (3) = 60 (20*3)
That's fine.

Quote:
Standard Ward:
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic, Lesser Control Undead, Lesser Control Spirits
Inherent Modifiers: area, duration
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

A basic ward to keep out spells, undead, and spirits. It should be noted while this ritual is useful, it may be a better idea to split this into three separate wards, letting you use higher path skills and making seperate wards (if a mage hammers this ward it will be weaker against demons). On the other hand, the ritual in this form is compact and can be taken as a single ritual mastery, grimoire, or charm, which can represent some major savings.

Lesser Control Magic(5) + Lesser Control Undead(5) + Lesser control Spirits (5) + area 70 yards (9*2=18) + duration 2 months (12) = 45 energy
Also good.

Quote:
Alarm System:
Spell Effects: Lesser sense magic, Lesser sense spirit, Lesser sense undead, lesser control matter
Inherent Modifiers: area, duration, excluded beings

Detects supernatural creatures approaching or spells cast within the area monitored. The default ritual rings a bell when triggered (the control matter). The triggers that can be used instead are myriad and individual casters will likely choose a path to their choosing: Sense mind for a mental cue, create energy for an audible cue or a visual flash, and so forth.

Lesser sense magic (2)+ Lesser sense spirit (2)+ Lesser sense undead (2)+ lesser control matter (5) + area effect 1/2 mile (16*2 = 32) +duration 2 months (12) + exclude self (1) =56
Looks fine.

Quote:
Neutralize Caster:
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Magic
Inherent Modifiers: subject weight, duration, range

An extremely useful spell when facing other casters, this spell is almost always prepared as a conditional spell (because you know the opposing caster is going to be relying on his conditionals). It deprives him of the ability to cast. This spell is often worth padding with energy so it doesn't fizzle. This spell is often not make as a charm because it blocks itself -- if its the bigger of the two spells!

The example given is a small version of the spell, and probably unsuitable for the contest described above.

Greater Destroy Magic (5) + subject weight 300lbs (3) + duration 1 hour (3) + range 10 yards (4) =20*3 = 60
You probably need Altered Traits here for whatever level of Magery and/or Ritual Adept you remove.

Quote:
Restore Spell Casting
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Magic
Inherent Modifiers: subject weight, duration

This ritual is almost always cast as a charm (and so the typical casting below is), because its made to restore the ability of a caster! This does not dispell the effect that deprives the mage of the magic -- if the duration runs out, the caster will be robbed of his magic once again!

I am frankly not sure if a charm still works if the caster has been robbed of his magic. If so, this is one case where a caster wants to keep someone else's charms around! The charm could be purchased, or two mages could have an agreement with each other: you keep my charm valid and I'll keep yours valid.

Greater Restore Magic (4) + lesser control magic (5) + subject weight 300lbs (3) + duration 1 day (7) = 19*3=57
Yeah, because after you make it as a charm it becomes its own "thing."

Quote:
Death Net:
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Body, lesser Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: duration, healing.

often cast just before going into combat or constantly on by particularly paranoid hunters, Death Net heals a subject when they fall unconscious. while not always enough to regain conciousness, it stops bleeding and leaves the hunter in a much safer condition.

This spell has many variations. It can be cast as a conditional spell to save on long durations. A sense mind and range effect are often added to alert comrades to the subjects condition. The tigger can be set to if the subject is slowed by wounds or after their first injury rather than on unconsciousness. And the Restore body effect can be made Greater to increase the healing to an amount that can actually bring the subject back to health.

Lesser sense Body (2) + Lesser Restore body (4) + 1 day (7) + 2d damage healed (4) = 17
Looks fine.

Quote:
Death Wall:
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Body
Inherent Modifiers: bestow a bonus, subject weight, duration.

This spell keeps the subject from dying. It is often cast as a precation to make battle (and critical failures on spells) more survivable. It is compatible with death net and the two sync well together: death wall allows large wounds to be survivable, and death net stabilizes the subject.

Lesser Strengthen Body(3) + bestow a bonus (moderate range): +4 to death checks (16) + subject weight 300 lbs(3) + duration 1 week (10) = 48
Also good.

Quote:
Untouchable:
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance
Inherent Modifiers: bestow a bonus, subject weight, duration.

This spell grants the subject the ability to move just right, moving out of the way of bullets and crossbows instinctively. It does not work against guns used in a melee fashion at close range, and the subject still needs to be aware of the attack. Some casters like to vary this to add danger sense (sense chance + added attribute) for another 17 points, or adding it as a different ritual.

Lesser Control Chance (5) + subject weight 300lb (3) +5 to dodging ranged missiles -- moderate bonus (32) + duration(week) (9) = 49
Looks good.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #192
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Spirit Scout:
Spell Effects: lesser create spirit,lesser Create Mind,lesser sense mind(2)
Inherent Modifiers: subject weight,range,duration

This spell creates a small spirit spy. The creature is built like a monkey, coloured to be easy to camouflage, and about 3 inches tall. A mental connection allows the creature to report to the caster and the caster to direct it. Due to create spirit and create mind being lesser, any damage dissipates the creature, any spell cast on it dissipates the creature, and many obstacles require direct supervision for it to overcome. This spell is usually used in places where small animals are hard to come by.

lesser create spirit (6)+lesser Create Mind (6)+lesser sense mind(2)+subject weight 10lbs (0)+range 1 mile (18)+duration 1 day (7) = 39
Drop the second Lesser Sense Mind and add Lesser Control Spirit instead.

Quote:
Flaming Knife:
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: damage, duration, weight

Turns a mildly dangerous blade (in the hands of a witch) into a searing weapon a monster will actually give some respect.

Greater Create Energy (6) + 5d damage (3) + duration 10 minutes(1) + weight 10 lbs (0) = 10*3 = 30
No, this doesn't work. To add damage to a weapon or to "conjure" a weapon use Bestows a Bonus. See here for a more fully explained post by PK (which has already been answered in your other thread I see).

Become a Patron!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #193
Kalzazz

FOr what its worth (or not worth) I have been allowing Innate Attacks to be added onto weapons for things like flaming swords etc as by this thread (post 18-22 or so) http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ng#post1715384

edit - that link aims you at post 20 in the thread, sorry! 22 is really a much better post, and 18, 20 is not a very good post
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #194
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
FOr what its worth (or not worth) I have been allowing Innate Attacks to be added onto weapons for things like flaming swords etc as by this thread (post 18-22 or so) http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ng#post1715384

edit - that link aims you at post 20 in the thread, sorry! 22 is really a much better post, and 18, 20 is not a very good post
Yeah, that's something I revised a while back. You could technically do a linked a attack, but if the bonus adds directly to the weapon's inherent damage bonus - then it's definitely bestows a bonus.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #195
ajardoor

Recall to Arms
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Matter + Lesser Control Magic + Greater Create Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: Speed.

This conditional spell marks a weapon, typically an one-handed one like a pistol or fencing sword, so it may be teleported to the caster's hand, ready to use (one-handed, remember?), when the command phrase is spoken within 100 yards of the weapon. This teleportation takes two seconds - one to form the gate and another to transport the weapon.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Matter (2) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Subject Weight, 10 lbs. (0) + Range, 100 yards (10) + Speed, 100 yards/second (10). 99 energy (33x3).
Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #196
Christopher R. Rice

Looks good. I wonder if a Lesser effect might be used here, even though it is the creation of a gate. I'd probably use a Lesser effect were I GMing. It's a useful thing...but not a 100-pt energy useful thing.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #197
ajardoor

Eh. Not making it conditional (not recommended), shortening the range (more valid for planned ambushes), slowing the speed (useful if the fight hasn't already started) and traditional trappings could cut it down to a much cheaper spell that is still very useful.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #198
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Eh. Not making it conditional (not recommended), shortening the range (more valid for planned ambushes), slowing the speed (useful if the fight hasn't already started) and traditional trappings could cut it down to a much cheaper spell that is still very useful.
True, but I really wouldn't use a Greater effect here. I thought about it a little more and if I were GMing I'd probably draw a distinction (a campaign one!) that says "small, inanimate objects can use a Lesser Create Crossroad effect to gate objects." That of course would have to be a decision made by the GM - but it's a valid one.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #199
oneofmanynameless

A couple follow-ups on the Folk Magic post a little while ago, some of these spells are a little higher in terms of energy costs then I was aiming for before, although theoretically still in the range that a Magician could accomplish with all the right pieces in place (a good space, a grimoire, etc.)

Curse of Sterility (Or possibly Blessing of No-More-Children-Please)
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Duration, Subject Weight
Greater Effects: 0

Used, alternately, as a spiteful hex against noblemen or a kind blessing to the already overburdened farm-wife, this spell renders the subject incapable of conceiving a child. It does not prevent them from performing in the bedroom or any such thing, it simply renders them Sterile for the duration of the effect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Altered Traits (Sterile) (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Duration, 1 month (11) = 19 energy.

Pestilence
Inherent Modifiers: Damage (with cyclic, contagious, and symptoms), Subject Weight
Greater Effects: 0 (?)

This malicious hex infects the subject with a deadly disease, causing them to make a HT-5 check each day or suffer 1d toxic damage. A successful HT check prevents the damage that day, but doesn't heal the disease. For additional energy the caster can cause the subject to also suffer symptoms.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) +Subject Weight, 300 lbs, (3) + Damage, 1d (cyclic, 7 1 day intervals, +60% {12}; mildly contagious, +20% {4}; symptom, coughing, +20% {4}; Resistible, success doesn't end effect, HT-5, -5% {-1}) (19)= 27 energy

Matchmaker's Curse
Spell Effects: Greater Control Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Duration.

This is a truly spiteful curse. Over the course of it's duration this spell arranges for the subject's love life to completely fall apart, as dramatically and horrifically as possible.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Altered Traits, Cursed (accessibility: only for the subjects love life, -20%) (12) + Duration, 1 week (9) = 26x3 = 78 energy

Journeyman's Curse

Another spiteful curse, this one causes the subjects mundane job (not adventuring!) to go horribly wrong for its duration!

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Altered Traits, Cursed (accessibility: only for mundane job, -40%) (9) + Duration, 1 week (9) = 23x3 = 69 energy

Fair Weather
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect, Bestows a Bonus, Duration.

This spell brings about the sort of fair weather ideal for farming, in both the forms of light rain and sunshine. It grants a +2 to all farming and gardening skill rolls. Particularly horrific droughts and floods may require more energy to counter!

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Bestows a Bonus, Moderate Range (+2 farming and gardening skill rolls) (4) + Area of Effect (1 kilometer) (16) = 25x3 = 75 energy.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #200
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Curse of Sterility (Or possibly Blessing of No-More-Children-Please)
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Duration, Subject Weight
Greater Effects: 0

Used, alternately, as a spiteful hex against noblemen or a kind blessing to the already overburdened farm-wife, this spell renders the subject incapable of conceiving a child. It does not prevent them from performing in the bedroom or any such thing, it simply renders them Sterile for the duration of the effect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Altered Traits (Sterile) (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Duration, 1 month (11) = 19 energy.
Looks fine.

Quote:
Pestilence
Inherent Modifiers: Damage (with cyclic, contagious, and symptoms), Subject Weight
Greater Effects: 0 (?)

This malicious hex infects the subject with a deadly disease, causing them to make a HT-5 check each day or suffer 1d toxic damage. A successful HT check prevents the damage that day, but doesn't heal the disease. For additional energy the caster can cause the subject to also suffer symptoms.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) +Subject Weight, 300 lbs, (3) + Damage, 1d (cyclic, 7 1 day intervals, +60% {12}; mildly contagious, +20% {4}; symptom, coughing, +20% {4}; Resistible, success doesn't end effect, HT-5, -5% {-1}) (19)= 27 energy
Looks fine.

Quote:
Matchmaker's Curse

This is a truly spiteful curse. Over the course of it's duration this spell arranges for the subject's love life to completely fall apart, as dramatically and horrifically as possible.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Altered Traits, Cursed (accessibility: only for the subjects love life, -20%) (12) + Duration, 1 week (9) = 26x3 = 78 energy
Ouch. You could just call that "Aspected, Romance."

Quote:
Journeyman's Curse

Another spiteful curse, this one causes the subjects mundane job (not adventuring!) to go horribly wrong for its duration!

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Altered Traits, Cursed (accessibility: only for mundane job, -40%) (9) + Duration, 1 week (9) = 23x3 = 69 energy
Yup. That's good.

Quote:
Fair Weather
Inherent Modifiers: Area of Effect, Bestows a Bonus, Duration.

This spell brings about the sort of fair weather ideal for farming, in both the forms of light rain and sunshine. It grants a +2 to all farming and gardening skill rolls. Particularly horrific droughts and floods may require more energy to counter!

Typical Casting: Greater Control Luck (5) + Bestows a Bonus, Moderate Range (+2 farming and gardening skill rolls) (4) + Area of Effect (1 kilometer) (16) = 25x3 = 75 energy.
Looks fine to me.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology