Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
Marasmusine

Default [Vehicles/Spaceships] Sails & Steam Donkeys

Some sailing ships had steam donkeys to power winches for the sails, in order to reduce the crew requirement.

I've decided that having powered winches halves the crew requirement. In Spaceships, I can simply say that this uses auxillary power.

I also like to use Vehicles though, and I'm wondering roughly what kW power would be required of the steam engine. Say, per square feet of sail.

Looking at real-world ships, sail area isn't too hard to find. The Preussen has 73,000 sq ft. for example. However Wikipedia just says the ship had "two donkey boilers" - I don't know the horsepower or kW.

Any ideas?
Marasmusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Vehicles/Spaceships] Sails & Steam Donkeys

In Ve2 you could use a man for (I think)0.15 kw of energy in a muscle engine. Take the number of men you're replacing and get a steam engine that produces an equal value.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Marasmusine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In Ve2 you could use a man for (I think)0.15 kw of energy in a muscle engine. Take the number of men you're replacing and get a steam engine that produces an equal value.
I was thinking of that. My guesses for Preussen are that it has 30 sailors that work the sails (Wikipedia says 37 to 42 sailors total). With watchkeeping, this is 10 sailors per watch. Without the steam donkey, this would be 20 sailors.

Given an average sailor ST of 12, this is 2.4 kW.

Steam donkeys used in the logging industry were about 60 kW, so I thought ship boilers would be comparable. Of course, the ship boiler is running the rudders too.
Marasmusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marasmusine View Post
Steam donkeys used in the logging industry were about 60 kW, so I thought ship boilers would be comparable.
Ship boilers varied greatly. An individual manufacturer might have standard sizes for small ones, but trying to read across from a different industry will be misleading.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, ships, steam, vehicles