Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: [DF] Help me design a medevac session

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Why does not even one member of the party have First Aid? As for Surgeon, I don't think DF uses it.
First Aid doesn't do anything for Mortal Wounds*, and Surgery is in fact a skill on the Cleric template (and the Cleric! Wildcard skill). DF1 even has surgical instruments as available gear, and DF2 specifically calls out Surgery as the skill for removing burrowing grubs and arrows, as well as for harvesting monster organs.

*EDIT: I think BioTech has some rules for using First Aid for CPR and the like, but that's typically not an option in DF, and the nature of the character's Mortal Wound is probably such that it might not help - although maybe it could be used each time he crashes to try and bring him back. It's quite the anachronism, however.

Last edited by Varyon; 12-22-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
jason taylor

Quote:
Why does not even one member of the party have First Aid? As for Surgeon, I don't think DF uses it.
Probably basic first aid would have been a reasonably common skill among knights even though European medical tech was rather behind.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
As GM, you could easily enough "find" a magic item that places the character into suspended animation, where he won't get better or worse for the time he's under.
Of course I can. Saving the PC simply isn't my goal here. I wan't to make it a challenge for the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Another option:

Nothing good comes without its price...
Whoa, you sure have some neat ideas. I should leave it for now as that's just too complex to implement at the moment, but it nicely ties in with what already happened and with what I'm planning. It really feels like a hivemind.

Quote:
They do have and they even had healing potions, but neither cures a Mortal Wound. DF2 doesn't call out this rule specifically, but it also doesn't say not to use it. And I love the idea. It leaves space for some dramatic tension and it's a goal for a dedicated healer (we have none atm, but it's a popular role in our group).
Old 12-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
hal

Merry Christmas all :)

One houserule I use for healing magically is that if an arm or leg is improperly set, they heal leaving the limb somewhat crippled. In addition, crippling injuries to the groin can cause health loss or movement loss while crippling torso hits can cause an attribute loss in HT, DX, or ST. Crippling hits to the head can cause vision loss, hearing loss, IQ loss, or grant up to 20 points in mental disadvantages.

The same COULD apply to healing without surgery. You could give the character unfit or very unfit, or vulnerability to disease, or even apply the aging rules to the character to simulate eventually dying of his wound that never properly healed. Sort of a terminally ill disadvantage if you will
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brainstorm, dungeon fanasy, dungeon fantasy 16