Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
Anders

Default Limited Talents

Has anyone tinkered with limiting Talents to a specific subset of situations. For instance, a horse nomad might have a level of Animal Friend (Horses Only, -80%) [1/level]. Might be a good way to add niche expertise to a template.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Limited Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Has anyone tinkered with limiting Talents to a specific subset of situations. For instance, a horse nomad might have a level of Animal Friend (Horses Only, -80%) [1/level]. Might be a good way to add niche expertise to a template.
Yes. Specifically for that instance too. It actually works quite well. I also recall someone taking Smooth Operator (Accessibility, only vs. opposite sex or those interested in gender, -40%) [9/level].

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Anders

You could also use it to simulate street contacts. Street Smarts (London only, -80%) [2/level]

Add a perk to let it stack with the normal Talent and you're ready to go.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You could also use it to simulate street contacts. Street Smarts (London only, -80%) [2/level]

That's actually really clever....Hmmm. Gives me an idea.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes. Specifically for that instance too. It actually works quite well. I also recall someone taking Smooth Operator (Accessibility, only vs. opposite sex or those interested in gender, -40%) [9/level].
You do have to watch out for iffy pricing though. A lot of skills are naturally most useful in limited situations, you need to be careful about price breaks that cover most of the situations you might want to use the skills in the Talent. I'd be a little cautious about -80% for Only on Horses for Animal Friend for that reason, since three of its six skills - Packing, Riding and Teamster - aren't used on anything else in a lot of settings.

The Smooth Operator one is just wrong. Only one gender, which is slightly more limiting, is even one of the examples in Basic at -20%
Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The Smooth Operator one is just wrong. Only one gender, which is slightly more limiting, is even one of the examples in Basic at -20%
Given that Smooth Operator also applies to aliens, monsters, and asexuals, I wouldn't disagree with -40% for "Only those attracted to my gender and species", which I presume was the intention of the limitation. If not, then yeah, it should be -20% tops.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
You do have to watch out for iffy pricing though. A lot of skills are naturally most useful in limited situations, you need to be careful about price breaks that cover most of the situations you might want to use the skills in the Talent. I'd be a little cautious about -80% for Only on Horses for Animal Friend for that reason, since three of its six skills - Packing, Riding and Teamster - aren't used on anything else in a lot of settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Given that Smooth Operator also applies to aliens, monsters, and asexuals, I wouldn't disagree with -40% for "Only those attracted to my gender and species", which I presume was the intention of the limitation. If not, then yeah, it should be -20% tops.
Celti has the right of it, otherwise, -20% works perfectly (I didn't show all of my work - I just copied it from the campaign notes, mea culpa).

And yes, obviously, you need to watch whatever is being applied on traits in any setting. Rule Zero is at the heart of GURPS - even if it doesn't look like it sometimes.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

Quote:

That'd be -0% if the campaign was meant to never stray from London, and so forth.

Setting and campaign goals are very important when you use area/demographic based limitations.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Anders

Of course. But making it a social advantage rather than mental is an interesting idea... hmm...
Old 06-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Given that Smooth Operator also applies to aliens, monsters, and asexuals, I wouldn't disagree with -40% for "Only those attracted to my gender and species", which I presume was the intention of the limitation.
It's better - there are several slices larger than aliens that "only those attracted" cuts out of opposite gender, children for instance, even leaving aside the perpetual argument about the not seducible.

Tags
limitations, talents