Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #111
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan
If you need a rational then you could say that for the Gauss Gun to be able to fire every second that you need something with a continuous amp/voltage not something that fluctuates like an alternator does.
And before car engines had alternators, they had GENERATORS. (See link
provided earlier.)

The fact is: The clown who wrote that rule had no more idea of how a car
works than I have of intelligent life forms in the Andromeda Galaxy. It was
his idiocy, in part, which helped kill the game -- nothing says "stay away"
to gamers like rules-writers whose calls can be disproved with thirty seconds'
Web research....

(For me: Each gallon of gas provides 50 PU. Don't laugh -- most players take
only the minimum fuel available, and smoke through their supply very fast.)
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #112
Hemlock
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter
And before car engines had alternators, they had GENERATORS. (See link
provided earlier.)

The fact is: The clown who wrote that rule had no more idea of how a car
works than I have of intelligent life forms in the Andromeda Galaxy. It was
his idiocy, in part, which helped kill the game -- nothing says "stay away"
to gamers like rules-writers whose calls can be disproved with thirty seconds'
Web research....

(For me: Each gallon of gas provides 50 PU. Don't laugh -- most players take
only the minimum fuel available, and smoke through their supply very fast.)
Ever consider the possibility that it is YOU that don't have any clue as to the power requirements for a laser or gauss gun ... both of which are purely fictional ?

I mean, who says that the alternators or generators on modern cars will produce the voltage/ amperes needed to power such weapons ... the weapons are fiction to begin with.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #113
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
Ever consider the possibility that it is YOU that don't have any clue as to the power requirements for a laser or gauss gun ... both of which are purely fictional ?
My vote is no.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #114
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
Ever consider the possibility that it is YOU that don't have any clue as to the power requirements for a laser or gauss gun ... both of which are purely fictional ?
No -- because I *do* know what kind of power it would take; in a way,
Lasers and such put me through college (let's just say for me "Star Wars"
isn't just a movie...). For lasers and mass-drivers as downrated as CW's are,
an IC engine with a generator is well within the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
I mean, who says that the alternators or generators on modern cars will produce the voltage/ amperes needed to power such weapons ... the weapons are fiction to begin with.
The same argument could be used to say they could.

Stop trying to cover for the blundering of the "Gang Of Four" lo those many
years ago -- it's not helping put the game back on a footing where it will
bring in new players.
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #115
Hemlock
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter
No -- because I *do* know what kind of power it would take; in a way,
Lasers and such put me through college (let's just say for me "Star Wars"
isn't just a movie...). For lasers and mass-drivers as downrated as CW's are,
an IC engine with a generator is well within the realm of possibility.



The same argument could be used to say they could.

Stop trying to cover for the blundering of the "Gang Of Four" lo those many
years ago -- it's not helping put the game back on a footing where it will
bring in new players.

The other mistake you seem to be making is that you are bringing Real World and Fiction together. CW is about a purely fictional future ... it wasn't meant to be a realistic representation of vehicle combat ... it was meant to be a game. Fun. Not Serious.

If you want a realistic representation of vehicle combat, join the Army and go to Iraq. You'll see 'realistic vehicle combat' ... I've seen .50 Cal rip apart an armored vehicle in real life. In game terms a .50 is only a 'MG' ... and it can take 5-10 seconds of pounding to penetrate the armor of a game car. In the real world, the concussive effects of a .50 round going thru a vehicle will kill the occupants; in game terms, MGs which penetrate the armor will hit only one item on the interior.

OTOH, if you are interested in a GAME, then play CW. And deal with 'silly' rules that don't (in your opinion) reflect reality... because if CW really did reflect reality, it would be even more deadly than it is ...

Stop trying to change CW rules to reflect reality, because CW isn't reality. And real combat sucks even more than CW combat does.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #116
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
If you want a realistic representation of vehicle combat, join the Army and go to Iraq.
Were it not for excessively poor eyesight, and advanced age, I *WOULD* BE.

(Believe me -- I've asked.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
Stop trying to change CW rules to reflect reality, because CW isn't reality.
So I've noticed. However, I'm not trying to apply "reality" as much as I'm
trying to apply two things which have been absent from CW since Haring's
departure: Logic, and Common Sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
And real combat sucks even more than CW combat does.
Indeed. _Dark Future_ demonstrates what "real" weapons are like (it's not
"will it penetrate", but "how far will it penetrate").
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 AM   #117
Hemlock
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter
Were it not for excessively poor eyesight, and advanced age, I *WOULD* BE.

(Believe me -- I've asked.)



So I've noticed. However, I'm not trying to apply "reality" as much as I'm
trying to apply two things which have been absent from CW since Haring's
departure: Logic, and Common Sense.



Indeed. _Dark Future_ demonstrates what "real" weapons are like (it's not
"will it penetrate", but "how far will it penetrate").
If your vision is correctable to 20/20 you're okay ... and don't worry about your age. They are raising the maximum age for recruits nearly every year. So unless your near your Mandatory Retirement Age, you're probably going to be alright. Besides, recruiters are scraping the bottom of the barrel as is, so they might be willing to lie to get you in.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #118
jimmylogan
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter
However, I'm not trying to apply "reality" as much as I'm trying to apply two things which have been absent from CW since Haring's
departure: Logic, and Common Sense.
I think this is the crux of the matter... Just like in the movies, we have to have a suspension of disbelief. If you are unable to separate game terms from Real Life(tm) then I can see where it would be a distraction. If you want to change the rules for your play group, go ahead. I am on the side of the fence that says it doesn't have to be ultra realistic to be fun, and I'm more than willing to sacrifice realism for game mechanics.

JL
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #119
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, UK
Default Re: The Unoffial 2059 Vehicle Guide

After more than a year I'm back !

Have a lot of designs to post : what would people prefer first arena or road designs ?
__________________
Five Gauss Guns on a Camper !!!
The Resident Brit .
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #120
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, UK
Default Re: The Unoffial 2059 Vehicle Guide

Hornet ML Mk IV : Subcompact , Hvy Suspension , X-Hvy Chassis , Small Power Plant w/SCs and PCs , 4 HD Tires , Driver , Medium Laser Front , SWC , 100pts Standard Plastic Armor ( F 28 , R 20 , L 20 , B 22 , T 5 , U 5 ) , 2-4pt Wheelhubs front , 2-4pt Wheelguards back , HC 4 , Top Speed 90 , 2,724 lbs , $ 9,560 .

Based on the old Laser armed Yellow Jacket - a much more survivable Div 10 'Laser' armed Sub .
__________________
Five Gauss Guns on a Camper !!!
The Resident Brit .
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.