Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Agemegos

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Every player has to have a voice in the deliberations of the senior staff, of course, and I want to share out the burden of playing the officer-in-charge in professional procedure scenes. So my original plan was to have each player playing the head of one of {the ship's combat crew, the diplomatic party, the marines commando action team, and the Survey staff}.

But I had trouble getting enough marines aboard that they would be commanded by an officer, and felt that a realistic NCO would not have the training to take part in staff-committee work and would deeply resent being asked to debate policy with field-grade officers. So the thought occurred to me to split the marines-leader role into two, one being an intelligence officer (staff, not field, not technically in the chain of command, and definitely not leading any commando actions) and the other the section-and-'action'-team leader. One player could play both, thus having a voice in the staff scenes and a share of command "on the ground" — just not in the same character.

Just now I have realised that although the captain has to have command in the naval operations scenes, and the ambassador has to have command in the diplomatic scenes, the Dean of Survey doesn't have to have command on the ground of whatever collection of four goof-offs and layabouts we choose to focus out attention on in the exploration scenes. At the price of having two players play five characters instead of only one having to do so, I can split the command of Survey, too.

What's more, I can split and swap. With one player playing the captain and another the ambassador, I could have one player playing the Dean of Survey and the Marines Section Leader, the other playing the Intelligence officer and the leader among the PCs in Survey operations scenes.

Comments?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech