Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Tigrah2k

Default Question about... { Shields as Advantages }

I'm curious. I've had a few people explain to me how to create an armor out of advantages, so that it is a gadget, and what-not. What I'm curious about is, how does one approximate the defensive bonus of a "shield" created that way? I'm not finding anything concrete so far in the books to explain this one.
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Question about...

DR and/or Enhanced Defense (Block) with limitations such as Directional, front, -20% and Active Defense, -40%. See GURPS Powers, p. 147 for an example.
Its been written up in other places too but that covers the gist of it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
I'm curious. I've had a few people explain to me how to create an armor out of advantages, so that it is a gadget, and what-not. What I'm curious about is, how does one approximate the defensive bonus of a "shield" created that way? I'm not finding anything concrete so far in the books to explain this one.
Have you looked in the 4e edition of Gurps Supers? It's there along with a good bit of other advanced rules about gadget-making.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Tigrah2k

Supers? I'd have thought it'd be in the high or ultra tech books... lol way off base. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
Supers? I'd have thought it'd be in the high or ultra tech books... lol way off base. Thanks.
The tech series is about tech, equipment and things you pay cash for.
The Powers books are about things you pay character points for.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
DR and/or Enhanced Defense (Block) with limitations such as Directional, front, -20% and Active Defense, -40%. See GURPS Powers, p. 147 for an example.

Its been written up in other places too but that covers the gist of it.
Except of course that by default, DR you get from the Damage Resistance advantage that is lost to ablative damage is of course, healed back at the same rate as you heal HP... and real shields don't do that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
Tigrah2k

Default Re: Question about... { Shields as Advantages }

I found the relevant sections. I'm confused about the DB and how to purchase it. GCA doesn't automatically allow gadget limitations for enhanced block, so, would that mean buyingEnh Block and linking it to DR gadget as the shield DB?

Last edited by Tigrah2k; 06-14-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Anaraxes

You don't have to Link the two. Just buy them both with the appropriate Gadget Limitations.

(Link is only for the case where you have what would be two separate abilities, each of which require a turn to activate, but you want to activate them both together with a single Maneuver. Neither DR nor Enhanced Block require activation. They're "always on". And Gadgets already include with their own implied Accessibility Limitations like "must have my shield gadget to have the DR and use the Enhanced Block".)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Plane

One thing about having 2 advantages each with gadget limitations is it implies 2 separate gadgets, what if just one was given a gadget limitation and the other just has "requires advantage"?

Or I guess it might work like you combine the 2 into a metatrait and then apply the limitation to the metatrait so make 1 gadget?

Or it's like with linked innate attacks (even though you're not using link) where if the stats are the same (in this case, DR/HP/size instead of acc/range) that you can combine them (single pool of HP/DR instead of single hit roll) ?

Supers 47 has an interesting example in the "Man Plus" template of a "Superalloy Medium Shield". It doesn't appear they bought the Damage Resistance advantage with Active Defense at all!

Instead they just bought Defense Bonus with Gadget limitation and the Striking Surface perk.

"DB 3, DR 10, 80 HP, 10 lbs.; cover DR 30." is merely a "feature".

I think I like this S47 approach (just treat the DR as the gadget's not your own) and use the gadget (conveniently shield-shaped) as a shield.

S78 has further explanation and even volunteers "Other gadgets can also provide cover to their users, if they are large enough. Treat such gadgets as improvised shields."
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Anaraxes

It's perfectly legit to build a single ability out of multiple Advantages (Gadgets or not). "That still only counts as one!"

For that matter, one Gadget could grant multiple abilities. Exactly how many there up is up to the concept and fluff text -- as well as perhaps some player paranoia or strategy about losing all the abilities when one item gets stolen, versus having a whole collection so at least they're less likely to all fail the character at once.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote