Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Faolyn

Default Re: Magic and Powers: Thoughts and Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
So yeah, my long-underway new fantasy campaign needs a magic system. I've made some earlier threads discussing a Powers-based system and originally, I thought that I'd go with this. My mind has of late, however, been torn between magic (i.e spell-based) and powers.
OK, here's a question: if you didn't have to worry about rules at all--this was freeform, or a book or movie or something--what would you want the magic to feel like?
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
kdarc

Thanks for the replies! For those of you who thought my objections and arguments rather unclear and unfocused... They probably were, yeah.

A lot of interesting stuff, and some things to think about. My players have also more clearly expressed the sort of mages they want to play, so for now, I'm settling on spell magic, using styles and maybe some of the optional rules from Thaumatology with flexible spells, using extra energy to achieve this and that and so on. I think I saw Mgellis' thread actually and very much liked it. Thanks for the good input, everybody - and apologies for starting another "powers-as-magic" thread.

kdarc out
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I suppose you could go through every Ability in 4e and write it up as how it shpould be bought as a Magic Power in your game world and create a true "system".

This will be very like writing a book and then requiring your players to read your newly-created book. This is why every comprehensive "Magic-as-Powers" attempt I've seen anyone try and start on this board has (to my knowledge) faded away.
Heh. I gave up on my attempt pretty quickly, and I've smiled more than once at remarks on how easy such a project should be. Some hard working visionary could still manage it, I suppose. Meanwhile, I'll just keep tweaking abilities and adding the Magical PowMod.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, powers, spells