Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
lachimba

Default Gypsy Curses in GURPS

For my cmapaign I was going to *just* use Ritual Path/Book Magic for Gypsy curses.

That said I am already using Ritual Path Book Magic for 'The Magic of Stories' and likely for Hermetic Magic too.

Anything else that wold give me some good rules guidelines for throwing curses and such?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Gypsy Curses in GURPS

Do you mean that you're using Path/Book Magic from Thaumatology? Or Ritual Path Magic, the variant introduced in Monster Hunters?

Either way, you should take a look at the Path of Health for Path/Book Magic. It includes such classics as Evil Eye and Malaise, capable of striking a victim sick or dead. Sterility is especially potent, being able to render humans, livestock and crops barren. Judicious (likely prolonged) use of that ritual can drive a community into starvation.

Some seemingly less-malicious rituals can also have dire effects. A long-duration Slumber is a classic fairy-tale curse, while Lust can have serious social and health consequences.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 03-04-2012 at 05:25 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Edman

Affliction: Disadvantage - Cursed, with judicious use of modifiers is probably what you're looking for, but it's likely to be on the pricey side.

Affliction 1 [10], Disadvantage: Cursed (75%), Malediction 2 (150%), Permanent, but negated by a positive shift in behaviour towards gypsies (150%), Sense-based, sight (-20%), accessability: only on enemies of the gypsies (-20%), Dispellable by suitable magic (-5%).

Total cost: Additive [43], Multiplicative [31].

- Baron von Münchausen

Last edited by Edman; 03-04-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Decided to do the math and fixed spelling
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Do you mean that you're using Path/Book Magic from Thaumatology? Or Ritual Path Magic, the variant introduced in Monster Hunters?
From Thaumotology.

I originally wanyted the magic to be really slow and subtle. Now both can do that, but the variant from Monster Hunters can IMHO be a lot less subtle.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
From Thaumotology.

I originally wanyted the magic to be really slow and subtle. Now both can do that, but the variant from Monster Hunters can IMHO be a lot less subtle.
In that case, you might just want to stick with the system that's been working so far. If you intend Gypsies to be truly evil, with magic capable only of harm, you could give them a "Book of Curses" with some of the aforementioned rituals. Other appropriate curses include selections from the Path of Dreams (Dream Shackles, Night Terrors) and the Path of Luck (Doom, Journeyman's Curse). If Gypsies are more nuanced, you could give them those full Paths, along with the Path of Cunning and perhaps others.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
tfaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
accessability: only on enemies of the gypsies (-20%).
Is this really a limitation? Anyone who can use a gypsy curse is a gypsy, and anyone who a gypsy would want to curse is an enemy of at least one gypsy.

EDIT: You might also consider Limited Use, 1/day, -40%. You rarely see fictional gypsies cursing people once per second. Onset, 1 day, -30% might also be a good idea.

Last edited by tfaal; 03-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.
tfaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Edman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaal View Post
Is this really a limitation? Anyone who can use a gypsy curse is a gypsy, and anyone who a gypsy would want to curse is an enemy of at least one gypsy.
Well, yes, hence the "gypsies". I'm thinking it should work on people who have wronged the gypsies, but not on those individual gypsies might be angry with. For instance, an old gypsy could curse a police officer if he tried to get them driven off a trailer park despite them having paid to stay the entire month, but not if that same cop gave him a speeding ticket.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
mhd

So, what are the stats for Affliction(Sergio)?
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curses, gypsy, magic, path/book magic, thaumatology