Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
phi16180339887

Default Gate spell ideas

I've been playing around with the Gate spell and have come up with a few designs and scenarios. Please let me know what you think.

Idea 1

A ring with the exit gate. The entrance gate is at the character's hideout attached to the muzzle of a machine gun. Holdout +10?, recoil 0, SS?, skill: magic jet?

Scenario

She looked like your average health nut, tight shorts, tank top, mp3 player. Security detected the gate spell in her large amethyst ring. These were dangerous times and a defenseless woman needed to teleport out if attacked. Waiting for her soy-no-foam-ristretto-latte-with-two-pumps-of-vanilla-Thank-You, she noticed the informant enter. 6000 rounds per minute exited the gate from the minigun located back at the hideout. Nobody snitches on Little Tony.

Idea 2

If a gate entrance is under water, the exit will have a lot of water coming through. This will not create thrust because the gate is not physically there. But, if you have the water hit a plate or be redirected with a u-shaped pipe, there will be force exerted. Also, if at the end of the pipe you have another gate for the water to exit at a higher depth, you would not have any water jet to deal with.
My calculations say a 1 hex gate with a entrance/exit depth differential of ~85 ft gives you a 50,000 lb Reactionless Thruster. Tech level would be limited to creating the pipe strong enough to withstand the pressure. TL2-3?
phi16180339887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Jerander

Default Re: Gate spell ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi16180339887 View Post
I've been playing around with the Gate spell and have come up with a few designs and scenarios. Please let me know what you think.

Idea 1

A ring with the exit gate. The entrance gate is at the character's hideout attached to the muzzle of a machine gun. Holdout +10?, recoil 0, SS?, skill: magic jet?

Scenario

She looked like your average health nut, tight shorts, tank top, mp3 player. Security detected the gate spell in her large amethyst ring. These were dangerous times and a defenseless woman needed to teleport out if attacked. Waiting for her soy-no-foam-ristretto-latte-with-two-pumps-of-vanilla-Thank-You, she noticed the informant enter. 6000 rounds per minute exited the gate from the minigun located back at the hideout. Nobody snitches on Little Tony.

Idea 2

If a gate entrance is under water, the exit will have a lot of water coming through. This will not create thrust because the gate is not physically there. But, if you have the water hit a plate or be redirected with a u-shaped pipe, there will be force exerted. Also, if at the end of the pipe you have another gate for the water to exit at a higher depth, you would not have any water jet to deal with.
My calculations say a 1 hex gate with a entrance/exit depth differential of ~85 ft gives you a 50,000 lb Reactionless Thruster. Tech level would be limited to creating the pipe strong enough to withstand the pressure. TL2-3?
I seem to remember that gates are stationary relative to geography. If so, then neither of these would work.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I seem to remember that gates are stationary relative to geography. If so, then neither of these would work.
The first idea was used for a somewhat munchkinoid item in the 3e book Magic Items III. That still doesn't really amount to official sanction though.

The second item depends on the idea that Gates constitute physically open doorways. This concept is popular with people who want to use Gates for other purposes but has no official support.

What the text actually says is that a Gate works like Teleport spell and I suggest people look at the text about Gates on p.80 of Magic as well as the vigniette. The theory used to explain this is that Gates are areas that _trigger_ a Teleport spell that goes to the destination rather than being an open door to that destination.

I won't swear that this is how Gates _have_ to work but it avoids a lot of problems.

This is also one of the Great Undead Threads and I don't really want to perpetuate it. So I do not intend to debate this at length.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
You can make a Gate that's fixed to the deck of a vehicle. I believe that you can also make a Gate in a Hideway, but it would need to be a Plane Shift as well as a Teleport Gate. This is very, very, very expensive.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic