Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
BaHalus

Default [Magic] How to Deal with magic that don't use Fatigue Points?

Ok, I was discussing with some friends in other forum about GURPS and someone asked how to simulate in GURPS the kind of magic used in computer games, like diablo and skyrym among others.

In these games Fatigue and mana are differente things, magic don't use FP or HP, only mana.

Some friends thought about just giving 10ER for free to mages and don't touch in the Magery cost (Mages would only use ER en powerstones, but for the same magery cost).

I was thinking more in the side of a large discount in magery to limit magic only to ER or ER+powerstones (external sources of energy in general).

My thought was, using limitations of Thaumatology as a guide, in something like:
Only ER Magery: -60% (or even more).
ER+external sources magery: -20%

What do you think about that? Some better ideas? What would be the better and more balanced strategy?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [Magic] How to Deal with magic that don't use Fatigue Points?

The Realm Path Magic system from Monster Hunters gives mages a free ER pool equal to Magery x 3, and the ability to tap FP / HP at a cost of 3 per energy point. However, RPM has overall a very different treatment of magic and Magery than the default system.

I've toyed with the idea of granting all characters a mana pool of 10 points, IQ+Magery, or something along those lines. As long as they have no or very limited ability to tap FP for casting, it seems reasonably balanced.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
weby

I use magery that is not powered by FP in my current game. All spellcasting uses ER. As it is a setting switch, I have not modified the costs.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Mr Frost

It's on page 51 of Thaumatology about halfway into the 2nd paragraph .

It basically works as you state {base energy is 10 -free- plus any extra energy reserve purchased at 3 points each} except there is no limitation cost breaks {the reasoning is whilst you can't use Fatigue or Hit Points for spells , there is no weakening penalty for using up your energy reserve except you can't cast when dry , but that happens with Fatigue too except you pass out !} .

So by the books , E.R. + Power Stones only is still the same cost {as far as I can tell by memory} .

If you want any sort of limitation cost reduction , you would need to have some sort of penalty for running low on Mana {say a penalty to will or doubling of casting time at half or 1/3 mana and your fatigue halves at 0 mana and only comes back to full when Mana rises to 1 or more} . This could reduce Energy Reserve costs to 2 per and if severe enough {say a penalty to I.Q. when low and/or empty might qualify for a Magery cost reduction or further E.R. cost reduction .

That last is just off the top of My head though .

Last edited by Mr Frost; 01-19-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Dagnabitb , a typo !
Mr Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Refplace

Yeah I would give them a base ER of 10 for free or maybe 10 + Magery.
No limitation for not being able to use FP in return for the free points towards ER, per Thaumatology.
At that point it is just a feature with balancing benefits and drawbacks.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
BaHalus

Thanks everybody, I really missed this in thaumatology, I will look for it there then.

About the limitation, it would be without the free ER, of course. 30 CP in ER in exchange of 5 CP of Magery 0 is benefit enough, no need for further limitations.

With this exchange, HP are off limits for magic casting too, right?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I use magery that is not powered by FP in my current game. All spellcasting uses ER. As it is a setting switch, I have not modified the costs.
But with free ER? Or they had to pay for every ER point?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Gnomasz

I wouldn't give free ER nor big limitations on Magery. I dont' have Thaumatology, but I don't think Magic system should be treated with such a huge distinction from Powers, where being unable to spend FP, but just ER is a -5% limitation, and no free ER is given.
It seems to be too little discount if the character doesn't have much ER, but with 10 FP and 10 ER it would become lightly relevant (at least in our Extra-Effort-in-combat-heavy games).

Short version: -5% on Magery and no free ER, IMHO. Close to weby's "setting switch".
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I wouldn't give free ER nor big limitations on Magery. I dont' have Thaumatology, but I don't think Magic system should be treated with such a huge distinction from Powers, where being unable to spend FP, but just ER is a -5% limitation, and no free ER is given.
It seems to be too little discount if the character doesn't have much ER, but with 10 FP and 10 ER it would become lightly relevant (at least in our Extra-Effort-in-combat-heavy games).

Short version: -5% on Magery and no free ER, IMHO. Close to weby's "setting switch".
It seems a really small discount. No player would choose this option if the original option were available in the scenario.

5% discount = 1 point saved in magery 2, 2 points in magery 4. On the other side, you will have to spend at least 18 cp in ER to magic be a little interesting to use. The limitation discount isn't enough to buy even a single ER point. No sane player would choose this option.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
5% discount = 1 point saved in magery 2, 2 points in magery 4. On the other side, you will have to spend at least 18 cp in ER to magic be a little interesting to use. The limitation discount isn't enough to buy even a single ER point. No sane player would choose this option.
I would happily impose this on my players though. I think regular Magic needs some buy-in costs rather badly :P and I keep trying to duct-tape together something based on Imbuements but no real luck yet.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diablo, energy reserve, magery, magic, thaumatology