Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #31
Puroresu

Default Re: {In Nomine} Favorite Canon Superiors?

Choices, choices.

Well, on Hell's side: I definitely like both Lilith and Baal. I like the fact Baal and Michael talk to each other about the old times. Lilith is very unique and so are her Lilim. Honorable mention: Kronus and Beleth.

For Heaven: David, Dominic, Gabriel, Yves (he's so mysterious), Blandine. Wish we knew more about Lucifer (before the Fall) and Uriel (before and during the Purity Crusades).

I still think In Nomine Anime is really cool for coming up with manga/anime versions of the Superiors!
Puroresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #32
BillionSix

Hmm. I like different ones at different times, depending on mood.

I like Saminga a lot. Not sure why. Maybe it's because amongst all these serious evils, we have a cackling supervillain.

I like Eli, for all the usual reasons.

I like Yves. He just seems like a good guy, and you can't argue with his goals.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #33
chris the cynic

I guess my favorites are the ones that have interesting implications so, for obvious reasons, those would be Yves, Kronos, Eli, Lilith, and Gabriel.

In case the reasons are not obvious:
Yves and Kronos - I can't really explain it more than simply pointing. *points*

Eli - as has been already stated Creation covers basically everything (though Eli reined it in a bit) and he recently decided (for unknown reasons) that the most important place to be when your job is the stewardship of everything is definitively not Heaven. That has interesting implications if ever there were some.

Lilith - Lilith is a human, Lilith has a word, Lilith is one of the powers that be, Lilith is immortal, Lilith is human. So Lilith is an example of human potential, that potential is very impressive, and ... well it's just interesting.

Gabriel because she's insane and god's chosen prophet at the same time. Also, when reading through this thread, I got a very River feeling with respect to Gabriel. Something about a strong, yet insane, character who mumbles incoherent yet completely accurate things I guess. On the other hand River is vulnerable, Gabriel doesn't necessarily give that impression.
chris the cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #34
Blackwing

I, too, like all of them. They all can be tweaked to great entertainment and plots.

Laurence is my favourite, though. The ultimate knight trying his best to lead a disorganized gaggle of good intentions.

Kobal is always surprising and entertaining. Malphas and Nybbas, too.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #35
Tarfaniel

Favorites as a GM

Hell
Haagenti - he's cute, he's fun, he's straight forward. It's great to use him and his Demons as bad guys. And, if nothing else, his Lilim have it SOOO easy. I'm sorry, but play a Lilim of Gluttony with a Role as a cook at a fancy restaurant some time. Taking an hour for a major meal should be easy to do, and in a place like DC major international havoc could be wrought by a single Lilim.

... and what do the players do when they discover she's a Free Lilim?

<bigggrin>

Heaven
Laurence - he's the leader of the Catholic CHARGE!!! at the enemy. Let the Holy Water Super-soakers and the Holy Light Flash Grenades tear my players to shreds. If I have an angelic group, he and his make for a really awesome Deus Ex machina. Especially when they show up unnecessarily. "Well, we heard some disturbances here and thought you might like a little cover fire." It's help show my players a good reason to get things done quietly

As a player

Hell
Saminga. I love playing undead, frankly. Sure, it's rough being able to be one-shotted by a powerful angel, and it sucks getting pushed around, but it's really nice not disturbing the symphony ... and living forever (in theory).

Heaven
Micheal, because I like to KICK ASS. Michael isn't a goody-two-shoes, he doesn't mess around, and he likes to get the job done.

Last edited by Tarfaniel; 12-30-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Tarfaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #36
Sagitta

Honorable mentions are due to Baal, Dominic, Kobal, Kronos, Laurence and Novalis, but my favourites are:
  • Gabriel
    The flipped side of Dominic. The game needs a transsexual vigilante ifriti prophetess to burn away your eyelids.
  • Lilith
    In the most careful experiment, sometimes, just sometimes, the mice win. The princes should fear her for her human strengths, but that understanding would destroy all that Hell stands for. Andre loves her, but she'll have him for breakfast one day. Yves knows her destiny, but she doesn't care.
  • Vapula
    Vorsprung durch Technik. When you're near him, you believe it so hard that mere reality fades into the whatever.
  • Yves
    That? What you have there is a clay envelope, sealed and baked in the fourth year of the reign of Ur-Nanshe - that would be about four and a half thousand years ago. It contains the marriage contract between one Gar-Utu and Ash-Marat of Lagash. They're still together, you know. Now, you wanted to ask about changing partners?
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #37
Sagitta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Marc ... has a Mercurian's talent for people and relationships, and his Word lends itself well to recruiting spies. I mean, really - James Bond? Was "James Letter-of-Credit" too obvious?
To continue in the same apocryphal vein, a curious, um, trademark of his servitors is to leave their Archangel's name in odd places. From the hallmark so essential to precious metals, to the German currency, to the letters of marque that allowed Janus's pirates to place into wider circulation the slave-mined silver from the New World, to the only gospel attributed to a Superior, to the market itself.

However, no-one has plausibly explained why the world's only really influential economist had Marc's name. While the Archangel of Trade likes all humans, he doesn't seek to encourage armchair theorists, and regrets that most economists are too busy pursuing politics by other means to go out and research their subject matter. No doubt when Superiors: Marc appears we shall have some answers.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #38
alexondria

My current favorites:

Kobal- he just makes the perfect bad guy. Unfortunately one of my players reads this board so I can't go into why.

Marc- You know just where you stand and how much it will cost to change that.

Jean- Who doesn't like toys that work.

Kronos- He's just a bit creepy and fun all at once.

Lilith- So many diffrent options- who shall she be this game.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #39
Fade

Furfur.

No, seriously!

I mean, I'll grant that the adventure leading to his investiture had some...issues. And that he's an annoying, low-powered brat who's likely to get squashed one of these days. And that his attunements aren't strictly balanced (not that many are, in the game).

But here's a demon who ran Renegade, sold his soul to Lilith, and pretty much risked soul-death just so that he could thumb his nose at the entire Hell establishment and call their hierarchy stupid and arbitrary. Then got a Princedom out of it. I mean, in a Hell where the whole "Rebellion" concept apparently took approximately three weeks to settle back into a set of rules and hierarchies and enforcements that left all these theoretical rebels with less personal freedom than a Heavenly reliever, here's someone who actually went back to the "You can't tell me what to do!" tantrum of the original and embraced it.

I'm rather influenced on this point by playing in the Most Awesome Hardcore Game Ever. But even aside from that, I like the concept of it. Sure, Furfur's whole rebellion is a bit stupid and ultimately doomed, but he's pretty much a microcosm of Hell in that sense. And he's not pretending to be suave and noble about it the way some of the other demons are. There's a certain brilliant, profane honesty to his approach.
Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #40
RadLilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria
My current favorites:

Kobal- he just makes the perfect bad guy. Unfortunately one of my players reads this board so I can't go into why.
I applogize, but I'm also very cruios.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, superiors