Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #121
dbm

Default Re: The 2019 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Those pesky Slayers slipped in behind you...
Old 04-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #122
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Yep! Just hit refresh and saw them!
That likely means Pyramid Dungeon Collection is next, though with the release of Legacy Edition box being in the store it would be a good time to release some TFT stuff thats been sitting in post production.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #123
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post

More on this when I publish the promo post, but for those wondering: This isn't just a couple of Pyramid articles repackaged!

The mage- and undead-slayer are based on the mage- and undead-hunter published in Pyramid, but I've significantly rethought them and boosted their abilities to be less "a cleric with a funny job title." The demon-slayer is totally new. There's an entire chapter on gear. And there are extra notes on supernatural flaws for monsters and preparing countermeasures to exploit them, along with a big box covering demonic talismans.

Even if nobody plays a slayer, this should help GMs make supernatural bad guys more interesting.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #124
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
That likely means Pyramid Dungeon Collection is next.
(Quoted name removed as this is a "question to the universe"...)

I've got every Pyramid 2 and Pyramid 3 issue, would there be any additional benefit to this collection? Beyond "all in one place," of course?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #125
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I've got every Pyramid 2 and Pyramid 3 issue, would there be any additional benefit to this collection? Beyond "all in one place," of course?
Updates, additions, and repairs. I can't speak for the other authors, but each of the articles I wrote has expanded by a page or so, some have had problems fixed, and a couple of them have been very extensively reworked in light of more recent publications, to the point where they're practically new articles.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #126
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The Pyramid Dungeon Collection isn't a simple repackaging. It offers completely revised second editions of all of the articles within it, which come from Pyramid, Volume 2 (i.e., the web version) – that is, if we label the Pyramid, Volume 2 articles {A1, A2, A3, ..., An}, this compilation contains something like "A13, Second Edition," "A47, Second Edition," "A129, Second Edition," etc. The most important fixes are updates from GURPS Third Edition (for which most of the articles were written) to GURPS Fourth Edition, but there are also errata fixes and expanded content, the latter most often being ties to either other articles in the collection or the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series (which didn't exist when most of these articles were written).

To give you some idea: All of these articles were already edited and published once. Despite that, I had 40 pages of editorial comments on the new versions, as they were different enough to need a second edit.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #127
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

It does sound interesting. Sadly, with Pyramid gone, about a third of my annual spending on W23 is gone...
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #128
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
It does sound interesting. Sadly, with Pyramid gone, about a third of my annual spending on W23 is gone...
Well according to Kromms latest update we now have two GURPS items in Prepress and one just got its art approved so is headed there next.
So far were still averaging one supplement a month but there is enough in queue that I think we may see two a month at some near point.
Your comment brings up a point I dont think we have talked about here. Pyramid was about the cost of many digital supplements so there is a potential audience budget for 2 GURPS supplements a month.
Remains to see how big that audience is.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #129
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

Your comment brings up a point I dont think we have talked about here. Pyramid was about the cost of many digital supplements so there is a potential audience budget for 2 GURPS supplements a month. Remains to see how big that audience is.
It's certainly a point of interest for us.

We would often hear, "I don't buy Pyramid because even when it's narrowly themed, it's too much of a grab bag. I'd prefer an actual GURPS supplement." Presumably, those people didn't buy Pyramid, and that lack of support is one reason why we couldn't continue with it.

Currently, the bet is that those people will buy single-author GURPS supplements, and if we release as many of those as we did Pyramid issues, they'll in fact buy more items overall.

Of course, I don't doubt the next complaint will be along the lines of "Well, yes, but not these GURPS supplements . . .". However, where we could control the content of Pyramid to a limited extent by setting themes for each issue, we cannot control which GURPS supplements freelancers propose to write.

So the question is whether these effects wash out, result in a net loss of sales, or result in a net gain of sales.

We'll see.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #130
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Currently, the bet is that those people will buy single-author GURPS supplements, and if we release as many of those as we did Pyramid issues, they'll in fact buy more items overall.
That's certainly my intention! I found Pyramid #3 unsatisfactory, for reasons I'll write about elsewhere, and more supplements are much more attractive.
Closed Thread