Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: [DF] Beyond the Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would like some books dealing with non European dungeons and towns. I would love to have some books for Middle Eastern DF, Asian DF, African DF and Native American DF.
We have Middle East and Asian pretty well covered.
But Afrcian and Native American I would love to see.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #12
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would like some books dealing with non European dungeons and towns. I would love to have some books for Middle Eastern DF, Asian DF, African DF and Native American DF.
All of these could be handled with Pyramid articles. It's just skinning, and a few monsters. They'd be good articles for issues otherwise dedicated to these cultures.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
All of these could be handled with Pyramid articles. It's just skinning, and a few monsters. They'd be good articles for issues otherwise dedicated to these cultures.
I would prefera whole book to an article. There are many changes to be made from dungeon style to treasures to monsters. If a Middle Eastern adventure is just adding the word desert in front of the monsters or races then it is not worth it to me. The party meets some desert elves and desert dwarves who join them to battle the desert orcs and desert trolls does not capture the exotic character of the Middle East. I would prefer lots of monsters that fit in the Middle East along with treasures and notes for how let the PCs feel they are in a different world than standard DF.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The only significant thing that you can do in recent editions of D&D and Pathfinder that GURPS Dungeon Fantasy explicitly excludes is PC crafting of magic items. I'm kind of ambivalent to this decision, personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Basically it's not that it's missing anything essential, but instead the limitation comes from some comments around suggesting (or even imposing) a sort of narrower scope and silly character.
That narrower scope and low emphasis on verisimilitude are present in those other games too (for the most part anyway); unlike GURPS they start there though and don't need an explicit notice that the material will give more weight to genre convention than to realism and to escapism over high-concept themes.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy without any departure from the normal GURPS baseline assumptions would have been a very different game (and likely not as popular).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-17-2016 at 01:39 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Anders

Bronze Age! Bronze Age!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #16
Malfi

I would like to see Dungeon Fantasy Kingdom Building rules in the spirit of wildereness adventures expansion.
A Knight that gets a castle is a typical trope in dnd. I would guess at 500 points this makes sense, you have progressed far enough that now you can stop looting dungeons and build a Castle/Kingdom, so you will have the resources to... Loot EVEN bigger dungeons! Ofcourse castle for fighty types, thiefs guilds for stealthy types, a temple for faithful types and a magic tower for caster types is pretty standard.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
I would like to see Dungeon Fantasy Kingdom Building rules in the spirit of wildereness adventures expansion.
A Knight that gets a castle is a typical trope in dnd. I would guess at 500 points this makes sense, you have progressed far enough that now you can stop looting dungeons and build a Castle/Kingdom, so you will have the resources to... Loot EVEN bigger dungeons! Ofcourse castle for fighty types, thiefs guilds for stealthy types, a temple for faithful types and a magic tower for caster types is pretty standard.
Kingdom building rules on a few peoples wish list.
But lets not limit them to DF. Calling things DF so and so limits the customer base. Some people skip DF items thinking there only good for DF even if they would work for other and more broad fantasy.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
Of course castle for fighty types, thiefs guilds for stealthy types, a temple for faithful types and a magic tower for caster types is pretty standard.
I can remember playing one of the Baldur's Gate games as a fighter/mage/thief solely so I could get a castle, a thieves guild and a mages tower.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Bronze Age! Bronze Age!
See GURPS Classic: All-Star Jam 2004 for:
  • "Gene Seabolt, giving us the travails of the last band of Spartan mercenaries, trapped in a decaying Europe;"

• "Jon Zeigler's 'Chariots!' - a cinematic look at the age of flashing bronze and larger-than-life heroes."
Old 09-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Kingdom building rules on a few peoples wish list.
But lets not limit them to DF. Calling things DF so and so limits the customer base. Some people skip DF items thinking there only good for DF even if they would work for other and more broad fantasy.
I don't think that DF rules for this kind of thing and realistic rules for establishing or managing settlements are actually likely to be very similar.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy