Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Onkl

Default Remove armor by force

Hi guys

What would a protagonist have to do in combat to remove a foes armor?

Could you please describe the steps and rolls necessary or point me to a page in a book.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Remove armor by force

Low Tech Companion 2 page 25 is relevant. I don't know of any rules for performing the basic 'remove armor' process on a resisting subject...doing so would probably take a ridiculous amount of time. It probably should be possible to wrench armor straps apart rather than cutting them, for a sufficiently powerful attacker...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Anthony

There isn't a standard rule for it, and in reality it would be much easier to kill the occupant than to forcibly remove the armor.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Terwin

Step 1) reduce target to below 0 HP (preferably above -1xHP if you want them alive at the end)

Step 2) Every second the target resists your attempts to remove their armor, they need to make a roll to stay conscious, so either 1) let them keep trying to resist until they pass out or 2) they stop resisting and let you take the armor off

Step 3) remove the armor from the unresisting (and possibly unconscious) target.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You may find Targeting Armor (GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2, p. 25) of value. It provides rules for cutting the straps of rigid armor, causing it to fall off.

Flexible armor, being worn like clothing, has to be pulled off like clothing. Pin the target and then take a long action (serial Ready maneuvers) for seconds equal to half the armor piece's usual Don stat; see Donning Armor (GURPS Low-Tech, p. 102). Do not divide time by 4 for an "assistant," though – this is unwilling! Still, a pin buys you 10 seconds between attempts to break free, which is enough to pull off something with Don 20.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Flexible armor, being worn like clothing, has to be pulled off like clothing. Pin the target and then take a long action (serial Ready maneuvers) for seconds equal to half the armor piece's usual Don stat; see Donning Armor (GURPS Low-Tech, p. 102). Do not divide time by 4 for an "assistant," though – this is unwilling! Still, a pin buys you 10 seconds between attempts to break free, which is enough to pull off something with Don 20.
If clothing is the model, note that one can almost always pull off clothes and let them fall as they may much faster than one can don them properly, with every fold, tie or strap in its right place and adjusted to suit.

I'd say that if you don't care about possible damage to straps, buttons, sleeves or any other aspects of proper care of the clothes, you should be able to disrobe at roughly twice the speed at which you can dress, probably even more than that if there are complex bindings or other time-consuming fastenings which you are willing to rip.

I have no experience of doing the same with armour, but I would guess that similar issues held true.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

If clothing is the model, note that one can almost always pull off clothes and let them fall as they may much faster than one can don them properly, with every fold, tie or strap in its right place and adjusted to suit.
That's why I cited the rules for removing armor, which halve time for this very reason.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That's why I cited the rules for removing armor, which halve time for this very reason.
So they do, which I recollected roughly half a minute after my post.

Ah, very well. I did point out that it might sometimes be appropriate to reduce this time further if you genuinely don't care about ruining the armour as it's taken off, possibly requiring ST checks or thr damage applied to straps to do so.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
chandley

And of course, Technical Grappling has some applicable thoughts, more in line with "tear their armor off" than with Kromm's "disrobe the struggling toddler, only it is not a toddler it is an angry orc" method. The relevant portion starts on p.7, with an explicit call out to using Wrench to damage both rigid and flexible armor at the top of p.8. I like these rules because it includes rules for _accidentally_ tearing off armor, relevant for the extremely strong grappler.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If clothing is the model, note that one can almost always pull off clothes and let them fall as they may much faster than one can don them properly
Assuming a cooperative wearer, sure. On a struggling wearer, I'd note that you generally can't use the same hand for removing the clothes as you're using to pin the wearer (so probably x2 for only using one hand, and you have to maintain a one-handed pin). This will rapidly increase time to "totally impractical under combat conditions".

Tags
armor, close combat, remove armor